Monday, August 29, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

I woke up early this morning. I had no reason not to sleep. I didn't even take a nap on Sunday. During my restlessness, I got to thinking about some friends and acquaintances. My mind was racing because they had an article in the Parade section of the newspaper with 7 ways to combat Alzheimer's. One of the 7 suggestions was "Not to be a loner!" Even if you are single, keep a circle of friends, or activities where you can interact with people. Our single friends already know this, and they do exactly what the hint suggested.

I then got to thinking about our friends who are fortunate to have significant others like the Curley's. I am so glad that I had a significant other to help me get through at least four medical issues where I required hospitalization. Then I started thinking about the couples whom we know, married or not that have gone through and continue to go through health issues. We have had friends who dealt with breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, shoulder surgery, Alzheimer's, ALS, Esophageal Cancer, Kidney transplants, Multiple Sclerosis, Pancreatic Cancer, Knee replacements, broken bones, Diabetes, War related disabilities, fibromyalsia (sp.), Hernia from Hell, Heart related issues, lung issues, etc. The list seems endless.
My point here is that the significant other was there in each person's time of need.
It is sad that some people lost their significant others too early, and that they are trying to fill that void of not having that person in their lives anymore.
This is another case of bringing up the fact "Life is too short!", and not to wait to do things, travel, see a play or movie, etc., and to enjoy who you are with right now.

On a happier note, Hurricane Irene has exited the Berkshires. A little flooding was the major repercussion of the storm. Some friends did get some water in there basements. As of 9:30 PM last night, our finished off basement was bone dry (We count or lucky stars).

Linda and I bonded together quite nicely watching DVR Recorded programs, but we watched police related / action programs.

The bonding ended when she put on a program called Combat Medical. I just didn't want to see the human ravages of war as wounded soldiers were being brought into temporary emergency rooms in wars zones. I have never been in the military. I didn't want to witnesses, even though it was studio made, what it is like being shot up, blown up, maimed, killed, etc. during combat.
I appreciate what all of my baby boomer friend's, who did enter the military during the Vietnam Era, and what they went through. This appreciation includes all military personnel, past and present. It really hits home for me because some of my friends never made it out of Vietnam alive. The survivors of the Vietnam Conflict have their own mental and physical health issues that never seem to go away.

Social Calendar -- I think that Linda wants a totally free day with me not bugging here.
I had a couple appointments which got cancelled, but I have enough outside yard work to keep me busy all day.

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: