Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,

Hope that you all had a pleasant Saturday like the Curley's did. We could only manage to attend two of the three events which we had on our social calendar. The Luau was the best event of the day. There was much food, fun, and merriment before the evening ended for us. When the mosquitoes started to get fierce, we headed home. Some friends were heading to the bar (The Lion's Den) in the lower level of the Red lion Inn in Stockbridge to listen to a local Irish band. The Curley's took a rain check!

The Luau had 50 to 80 people including kids at the event. We will be attending the Luau next year for sure! We had no idea how large that this party was going to be.


Speaking of rain, it appears that we might experience some rain, thunder and lighting during today's Irish American Golf Tournament at Skyline Country Club. It doesn't get much better for the Berkshire Hills Senior Golf Tournament that my friends and I are cooking for on Monday. We could do with some rain in the Berkshires, but why does it have to rain in the forecast for today and tomorrow? Oh Darn!

I love attending parties because you always see some interesting people at these parties. Many of my former students were there because they are relatives of the hosts of the party. You know that you are old when your former students have been working at the same General Electric / General Dynamics job for 32 years.
I asked one of my former students if he was married, and he said "Yes" but..!
He is married but he and his wife don't live together. Neither has a significant other, and they meet once a week, and have dinner together. I asked about financial matters, and he said that his wife is covered under his health insurance. I got to thinking that I never heard of a marriage like this, but it sure works for this couple. I don't think that his wife was at the party.

I also was sitting next to a woman who is three years older than me, and we started chatting about our families. Her husband retired at 55 years old (I think from the old General Electric). He had a pain in his side three years later, and died within a few months at age 58. This man was in great shape, and did everything he could to maintain that healthy body. Working with asbestos products at General Electric was one of the major reasons for his untimely death.
As we kept on chatting and she knew that my last name was "Curley", and she asked me if I was related to a Joe Curley who lives on Brighton Avenue in Pittsfield. I said "Yes", and that he was my Uncle. Well this lady tells me that she is a cousin to my Uncle Joe's wife Aunt Ruth.

I am watching the weather channel, and they are showing a stage collapse due to a violent storm at the Indiana State Fair. Many people were killed when the stage collapsed. Fun can change to tragedy in a heart beat!

Well, I am going to skim the Berkshire Eagle and Boston Globe before heading off to purchase 125 Sirloin Burgers for Monday's Golf tournament. I will bring the burgers home, and I will squeeze them into our refrigerator, and then head off to the Irish American Club Golf Tournament. I am going to wear bathing suit type of material for shorts because the forecast is 100% sure that we will be getting soaked. I might have to take a garbage bag to cover my boot too. This is going to be a long and wet day! Oh Darn!

Have a great Sunday!
If you live in the Northeast, we are going to get 1 to 2 inches of rain before this day comes to an end, and it continues on into Monday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: