Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,

I woke up to the pitter patter or rain on the bedroom air conditioner at 5:30 AM. I couldn't believe that our local newspaper was lying in the driveway already. I got a golf umbrella from the garage, and rescued the newspaper before it floated down the street. I just got through skimming the newspaper, and the fliers which I like. Nothing peaked my interest except for a not so great lobster sale in one of the supermarket fliers. The sight of the lobster reminded me that we didn't have one lobster fest at the Curley home during this summer which is about to come to an end. We usually invite about 8 others to join us. I use our turkey fryer device and pot as the heat source and my lobster pot. I cook corn on the cob on the side burner of my gas grill. Each person has two lobsters. After cooking one each, I put the second one in the pot as we consume the first one. We might do some coleslaw too to compliment the meal. The hardest part is to find 8 people who like the meal. Some of our friends don't like lobster, and don't want to play with the lobster. Some people don't like mayonnaise which we like on our coleslaw. Some people don't know how to break a lobster and extract lobster meat from ever nook and cranny. Some people like to come to the lobster fest just to watch me eat because I eat every possible edible part of a lobster. Usually Linda has to hose me down when I am through eating even if I use a lobster bib. If you are thinking where are the clams, I would cook clams also, but not eat any of them because I am deathly allergic to them (and their mussel like relatives only).

Most of us have been focused on the weather channel for several days. The Weather Channel and Hurricane Irene are like a never ending movie. Do you think that it might be a bit crazy that the Weather Channel sends out their workers in the middle of a Hurricane just to give us something to watch? The death toll is up to 10 since the Hurricane struck the United States.
I wish that I owned a kayak so that I could paddle down some of the streets in Pittsfield which are notorious for their flooding. I am really hoping that the rain doesn't end up in our finished off basement. I had helmet gutters put on as part of the deck project this summer, and I am hoping that the water is being carried away from our house. Do we need to build an Ark?

Our son from Tewksbury called last night, and told us that the Berkshires are still on a direct path of Hurricane Irene. That path has not changed since the first predictions of where the storm was heading. My son even cleaned the gutters at his Colonial Style house on Saturday. He also cleaned the gutters at his restaurant Dough East Boston. Kevin and Kyla not only own the restaurant, but also they own the two floor apartment above the restaurant. Maintaining one place is difficult enough, but they have two to take care of now. Also, the restaurant is one block away from the harbor, so they are hoping that the ocean water doesn't reach the building.

Sports -- The Red Sox won two games yesterday with multiple rain delays. The first game started at 12:05 PM, and the last game ended at 11 PM.
The Yankee manager was extremely upset that he didn't play yesterday as the Red Sox dodged raindrops in their two games. Well, New York shut down their transit system at noontime, and many fans couldn't get to and from the game.

The Patriots looked absolutely awful during their preseason loss last night. Tom Brady, the quarterback for the Patriots, said before the game that he wanted to get some game hitting contact. He got more that what he hoped for. He got sacked, and knocked down multiple times during the 2.5 periods which he played in. The Detroit Lions have been the whipping boys for the past few years in the NFL, but not last night. The Coach of the Lions was a former Patriot Coach. He learned a lot from Coach Belichick, and beat the master at his own game.

I hope that our friends who went to Tanglewood last evening had a good time in the shed. My friend is a Vietnam Vet with a handicapped sticker which does allow him to park close to the Tanglewood gates. The floor inside the open air shed is packed dirt. I would imagine that he and his wife might have had a little mud on their shoes before they arrived home.

Speaking of Tanglewood, today's Ninth Symphony program has been cancelled due to the Hurricane. I think that this is the second time that they have ever cancelled a Tanglewood event.

I am so hoping that we don't lose electricity. All the electrical lines on our street are underground. Every other street in the former apple orchard which we live in has telephone poles carry electricity and telephone lines.
The wind is starting to pick up. Oh Darn!

Have to retrieve the Boston Globe from the driveway.
Talk to you soon maybe more than once throughout the day!
Have a great Sunday despite the wind and the rain. The Curley Lad

No comments: