Monday, September 21, 2009

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,
Our Sunday went as planned. We had much fun and merriment at the 1 PM picnic at
a friend's home. I was able to catch some bits and pieces of the Red Sox and
Patriot Game. The Patriot Game didn't go as I thought it would, but the Red Sox
just keep on winning. There is some talk about the Red Sox possibly catching the
Yankees since their division leading has shrunk to only 4 games.
The picnic was wonderful. The food selection was superb right through dessert.
My friend always set up a whole bunch of games for us to play. I did notice that
the amount of game playing decreased quite a bit this year. Does this mean that
we are getting older? Is bending over picking up a BOCCE ball becoming a chore?
We left a little after 6 PM, I think. We had to stop at the grocery store
because Linda couldn't take another day of "Coffee Mate" in her morning coffee.
We had no milk products in the house when we came home from Boston on Saturday.

Social Calendar -- Today is one of those days where Linda has already given me
instructions not to bug her. She hasn't even emptied her suitcase from our trip.
She also has a whole bunch of things to do around the house, and she doesn't
want me in her way.
I too have some things to do both inside and outside the house. I have to weave
in a visit with Mom at the nursing home in Lenox, be present in Lee when a new
hospital bed is being dropped off, and set up at the family home, and I also
have a UNICO membership meeting at a local restaurant at 6 PM.
Speaking of the hospital bed, Mom is not exactly ready to come home at the
present time. Even if she does come home, she will need the services of the Lee
Visiting Nurse Association, and the local Home Health Care organization. The
saga continues!

Politics -- We have a local primary on Tuesday. We have 9 other people trying
to knock theMayoral incumbent out of office. Linda and I are supporting the
incumbent. The current Mayor's re-election campaign wants us to hold signs on
Primary Day. Linda will be playing Mah Jongg on that day.
Our President is still pushing for his health care package. Of course, Linda
and I support his plan since we are loyal Democrats.
An article in today's local newspaper said the President Roosevelt's social
security plan back in the 40's received the same opposition, but it seems to be
working okay today. His system wasn't perfect, but many people today depend on
Social Security.

Observation -- It was another morning in the 30's here in the Berkshires. We
love the cool nights , and the not so hot sunny days. At some point this week, I
think that I will take out the air conditioners, fans, etc. I might even start
removing some of the deck furniture in preparation for winter.
Yesterday, on the way to our picnic, we went by a farm stand / deli /
greenhouse / play land / farm animals / pumpkin patch. Linda and I were
visualizing taking our grandchildren to the place. There were so many families
there, and they all appeared to be having a great time. We took Isabelle there
when her and Danielle were visiting us in June. We can't wait to take Max there
when he starts walking a year from now.
All this talk about doing things brings me to my final thought for the day. Us
baby boomers have to do things right now, and not postpone any plans for having
a good time, seeing the world, bonding with families, etc. As an example, since
we weren't in the Berkshire for over two weeks, and we had no access to
electronic devices, I asked a friend if anyone of note passed away while we were
gone. I asked this question because I checked the obituaries every day in the
local newspaper.
A 54 year guy, who owns a small restaurant right next to out hospital, died
unexpectedly. From what I heard, the man wasn't feeling that great for a couple
of weeks. He chose not to go to the doctor. He had a heart attack and died even
though his place of business is right across the street from the medical center.
The word was that he had some clogged arteries, and he waited too long before
getting medical attention.

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: