Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in the Curley home, but it was exhausting for both us. I had lunch with 5 Mah Jongg ladies. The Pumpkin soup, which Linda made in the crock pot, was a big hit. The immersion blender worked very well too. You do have to remember to shut the blender off when the blending is done. If you remove the device from the pot when it is still on, you can visualize pumpkin soup (or whatever you are blending) going all over the kitchen. Linda might have to work on this aspect a little more.

After lunch, I read my latest book for an hour or so as the Ladies started playing Mah Jongg. I left the house a little after 1:30 PM, and headed off to help out at the UNICO Polenta Dinner. As usual, there was much fun and merriment in the kitchen as we prepared, and served over 250 Polenta Dinners. We needed a good deal of help, which we had, to do such a project.
The only leftovers was Polenta. Every piece of chicken, and sausage was gone as we served the last dinner. Us workers didn't even get a piece of chicken or sausages. We underestimated the size of the crowd. The 50/50 raffle prize was $475. After all the food, wine, and beer bills are paid, we should have a pretty good profit for a few days of planning, and a long day of work.

I was so tired after the Polenta Dinner, that I was in bed by 9:30 PM. I never saw Linda to ask her how her 7 PM BONCO session turned out.

Social Calendar -- There is only one thing on our social calendar for today, and that is to celebrate my mother's birthday in the nursing home at 1 PM. Linda picked up a cake at the local grocery store that says "Happy Birthday Mary". I will still have to remind my mother how old she is every time I visit her at the nursing home.
I am not sure how close the family is to getting my mother back home to live in her own house. She will definitely need assistance from the "Home Health Care" workers as well as the Lee Visiting Nurse Association. The saga continues!

Sports -- The Red Sox continued with their losing streak, but they did a "backdoor" into the playoffs. From what I heard, they had a closed door celebration party in the locker room. I am not sure if they have the pitching and manpower to make it through the first round of the playoffs.

Politics / News -- There is the usual mayhem in every part of the world that you can imagine. Maybe the people who don't read the newspapers or who don't watch television are the smartest people in the world. Why is their so much hate and anger everywhere including on the streets of America? Will mans inhumanity to man ever cease?

Observation -- I squished a "slug" on the way to getting the local newspaper which is thrown on the lower part of my driveway. I was wondering where do the "slugs" go in the winter time when we are covered with snow and ice. The ones which we see must die, but how do their offspring make it through the winter. Slugs are not like the birds who can just pack up, and fly south. I guess if I get bored during the winter months, I can do a little research on the computer, and at the public library.

Have to go, and do a little book reading.
I don't love the book that I am reading right now. I am halfway done with the book, and now there is no turning back.
I am up so early that I will need a nap at some point today.

Have a great Wednesday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: