Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Out Wednesday went as planned, but I think that Linda enjoyed herself the most. I left the house for golf before she woke up, and I never returned until almost 2 PM. She had 6 hours of totally interrupted pleasure of doing what she wanted to do without me bugging her. I grabbed a quick lunch, and then took a two hour nap which meant she had an almost 8 hour day doing her thing. She wished that she had more days like this.
Well, she won't have a day like Wednesday today. My car is at the repair shop for some basic maintenance so I am stuck here until the work is completed.
I can't use her Neon because she has two body maintenance procedures.
Golf is out of the question because there is a Pro-Am tournament at our club today. I am not quite ready for that tournament.

Speaking of golf, I did break the 100 mark yesterday which wasn't bad since I hadn't swung a club for over two weeks.

Clarification -- The Yesues are convinced that I disliked my job as a teacher because of the comment which I made in Wednesday's emails (and at other times). I loved teaching, but during the 36 years of being in the profession, things had changed. Toward the end of my career, I became more of a referee than a teacher. It was a constant battle of putting out fires instead of me being a purveyor of mathematical knowledge. The students coming into my classroom were gradually becoming less motivated compared to the students from the 70's. The wanting of "something for nothing", or demanding "something for very little effort", started to be the norm. Parents were starting to back up their child instead of the teacher. In the 70's , I had a parent give me permission to whack his child if he got out of line. By 2000, they were at the classroom door with their lawyer. This why that I say at this time in my life, retirement is a better option than being in the classroom. I have a life beyond work, and I am enjoying every moment of it. Life is good!

Sports -- Red Sox stopped the bleeding last night in Kansas. Our son Michael was at the game with a couple of his buddies, and he was lucky to see the Sox bats come alive. The Yankees maintained their lead with a victory also.
I was all psyched to watch, on television, the Patriots do battle this Sunday. Not! The local newspaper said today that they will not be broadcasting the game in the Berkshires. Since our Time Warner Cable is based in the Albany , New York area, the New York Giants will be broadcast because they are in a bigger market area. I might have to find a Pub with a "Dish" if I really want to watch the game.

Politics -- The Health Care issue is still being worked on.
I am glad our President told the UN members that the United States in not going to bailout nations in every situation which arises in their countries.

Observation -- I put away the fans the other day, but I had to put them back out one day after I did so. Well, the temperatures are going downward for a couple of days. We might have trouble reaching 60 degrees on Friday. My golf wardrobe for for Friday golf with the seniors might have to be changed from the shorts, and short sleeve shirts that I wore on Wednesday. I just want Mother nature to make up her mind. I am ready for fall, and eventually winter. I just don't like to flip flop.
I keep on asking my friends who own or rent property in Florida when they are heading south. One of my friends is packing up, and leaving on Friday. We haven't even had a good frost yet in the Berkshires, and he is already bolting for the warmer climates.

Have a great day at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: