Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

It was another great day in the Berkshires for the Curley's. I did my golf
thing while Linda tended to Kyla and Max before they packed up and left for
Saratoga to visit a couple of college friends from Skidmore. You might be
thinking that I should have given up golf, and said "Goodbye" too, but Linda and
I are heading to East Boston on Monday to return the grand dog Billy who is
staying with us. Kyla took "Frankie Beans" only with her because her friends
have creatures of their own, and she didn't want any conflicts.

I did squeeze in an hour nap before we headed off to my golf course for supper
with another couple. We were all kind of tired so we went straight home.

Sports -- I tried to watch the Red Sox, but they were being destroyed by the
Chicago White Sox. It was too difficult for me to watch. The Yankees were being
one hit by Doc Holliday, and lost their game too.

Social Calendar -- I am getting another dose of culture this evening. I am
already planning an afternoon nap. We are meeting another couple at 6:45 PM this
evening for dinner and a play. The play starts at 8:30 PM. I am usually in my
pajamas by that time watching some sporting contest or reading a book.

Observation -- Isn't it hard to imagine that when we first started teaching us
being in our pajamas at 8:30 PM wasn't even heard of. We would party at any
time, and not just during the weekends. Even if we had a late evening, we would
still make it to our first period class, and try and recover as the day
progressed.
One of our friends, who is still teaching, is so exhausted by the time Friday
rolls around, that he doesn't want his wife to book in any social engagements on
a Friday night.
In our early working years, the weekend partying always began on Friday after
school. We would all meet at some bar, and party to the wee hours of the
morning.
It seems like those days are all but a forgotten memory. It even gets worse as
I observe things through the eyes of my parents. We invited my dad to join us to
the cookout / baby viewing events this past week. My sister even offered to
drive my father to and from the party. My father refused the offer! My father
has developed a routine where he is often in bed by 7 PM. You would think that
he could alter his routine and join us. Our parties broke up no later than a
little after 9 PM. What is a couple of hours in the scheme of things?
Linda and I asked ourselves if we will become like that? We both agreed that if
someone asks us to attend a party, we will make every effort to be there. If
neither of us are able to drive, we will take a taxi.

Politics -- President Obama wanted to address the students this coming week as
the last bunch of students go back to school. He wanted to give them an
apolitical speech about how important school is, and to work hard, and stay in
school, etc. I can't believe some States and communities are refusing to
broadcast his speech. Other Presidents have done so in the past. What is wrong
will these people?

Well, I have to get dressed and head to the track for an hour walk. I have to
recover somewhat from all the partying which I engaged in this past week.
Have a great Labor Day weekend.
Linda and I still have another party / cookout to make it through on Sunday
night. There is no way that we would refuse such an invitation.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: