Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

I did forget to mention in Friday's e-mail that it was Linda's birthday on September 25. The day, and her birthday went as planned.
She enjoyed her breakfast with her lady friends while I was chasing the white ball around the golf course.
She went from her breakfast to do some errands.
She was home when I came home from golf. We shared a lunch of leftovers, and I decided to give the lawn a trim, and do a little weed whacking.
While I was doing my thing, Linda was answering the telephone from family and friends who were wishing her a happy birthday.
I needed a power nap after my lawn trimming. Linda went back out to do some errands while I was napping.

We went out to our favorite Friday night restaurant (The Shamrock) with two other couples for seafood. I called to make reservations, but they said they couldn't, but when we walked in at 6 PM, our table for 6 was all set. Being a good customer has its advantages.

Speaking of golf, my ball striking was a little off, but it was nice to be out there in the fall like air. I did help the team that I was assigned to by getting a birdie on one hole, and par on another. I wish that I could have helped the team on more holes, but it just didn't happen. Luckily my teammates took up the slack. My team ended up paying only one dollar instead of the normal three.

Sports -- My Red Sox got beat up by the New York Yankees. The Red Sox pitcher was physically knocked out of the game when the batter drilled a line drive off of his leg. I thought the ball hit the knee cap of the Sox pitcher, but the report was a contusion of the quadriceps. The report said that he was okay, but we will have to wait and see.

Social Calendar -- We are off to a house party this evening. Red meat is on the menu, and I can't wait. I will be making a small batch of grilled vegetables for the gathering.

Speaking of food -- Out first Polenta, Chicken ,and Sausage dinner in this Tuesday evening at 6:30 PM at St. Mark's Parish Hall. This is a fund raiser for UNICO. We are usually cooking for some other organization, and once in a while we need to fill our own coffers.

Observation -- Everyone has a birthday, but as we get older do we really want to celebrate them? The rich and famous spend thousands of dollars trying to keep their youthful appearance, but us common folk just get old (or more mature.)
There is no way to stop the aging process, and I think that we should not fight it. We should exercise, and eat the right foods, but it won't stop mother nature from making us age. The life expectancy in the United States is 78 years of age. As the medical technology improves, that number will be higher for us baby boomers, and our children and grandchildren for sure.
I think being content in your own little world is the most import thing in a person's life. I think that being unhappy helps to age you even more. Yes, I know that if you are experiencing physical problems, happiness is difficult to find. I always tell people, who do have such physical problems, that there are people out there who are worse off than they are.
Another thing that I have noticed, through my parents, is the major illness that some seniors get in their later years is life altering. My father was doing so well as he was heading to be an octogenarian, and then he had a fall at his brother's house. That fall was the beginning of the end of the good life.
Mom's problems started about a year ago when she went into the hospital on Christmas Day after she had fallen in the home. Blood clots, surgery, a leg amputation was her beginning of the end.
On a happier note, life is still good for the Curley's, and as you see from my e-mails we are enjoying every moment while we are physically able to do so. As a baby boomer who has experienced a couple of physical set backs, I wouldn't say "No" to an invitation to a party, or to taking a trip if we can afford it.
I am going to enjoy our grandchildren, and spoil them rotten, and hope that there are more on the way. Family and good circle of friends will keep you young even as the body ages.


If you live in the Berkshires, Saturday will be pleasant and dry, but you will need rain gear for Sunday. There are many things going on this weekend in the Berkshires. There is the "Apple Squeeze" in Lenox, and "Founders Day" activities in my home town in Lee.

Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: