Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

We had another beautiful day in the Berkshires until a little rain came in around the supper hour.
Some of the trees have definitely changed into brilliant colors even from the perspective of a colorblind person.

I had to go to Walmart to pick up a couple of items while Linda was puttering around the house on Monday. While I was in the hardware department, a lady came up to me, and asked if I worked in Walmart. I must project the image of a Walmart employee. I thought that I had a calling as an employee of Walmart soon after I retired. I am more of the "greeter" type which I thought that I could be very good at.

After my Walmart adventure, I headed off to the nursing home in Lenox to visit Mom. I sat with her through lunch.
Today is her birthday. She is 93 years old. Since Linda and I are unavailable today, my sister and her family, and Linda and I will celebrate her birthday at 1 PM on Wednesday.

The Pumpkin Soup, which Linda is serving to her Mah Jongg ladies and me today at noon, has been brewing all night. The chunks of fresh pumpkin, and sweet potatoes (as well as other vegetables and spices) need to be blended with our new immersion blender. I think that I will let Linda use the device first. I can wait to try some Pumpkin Soup!

I am booked in to help out at our 6:30 PM UNICO Polenta Dinner fund Raiser this evening at St. Mark's Parish Hall. I will be arriving at 2ish to set up the Parish Hall. Hopefully we will have a big crowd. I will most likely be gone from 2 PM until the last pots and pans, and the school cafeteria kitchen is cleaned up. I am guessing this will be around 8:30 PM.

Linda can't attend the function because she has her once a month BONCO session at a girlfriend's home at 7 PM.

Politics / News -- I caught a segment of the news last evening which was on a newest terrorist bomber tactic. The terrorists are now putting explosives in cavities of their body so that they can go through security undetected. The terrorist, which they highlighted yesterday, put the explosive up his butt. It was detonated by means of a cell phone. How are the airport security people ever going to detect this unless they X-Ray every person going through security? All of a sudden, I don't feel safe going on a commercial airline.
The President bashing continues on a daily basis, even at the local level. The local radio talk programs have people calling up saying the President is too inexperienced, including his cabinet, to run a country. For the past few days, the public has been beating him up about trying to get the Olympics to take place in Chicago.
After a while, the American Public starts believing what is reported on a daily basis even if the report isn't totally accurate.
The stock market is doing okay, and it is close to the 10,000 mark as of yesterday. Is our president doing anything correctly?

Observation -- I lost a high school classmate this past weekend. The 63 year old classmate was policeman in my hometown for most of his life. He was with is granddaughter on Saturday night. They had just left a function at the Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield. He was heading south toward Lee less than a quarter of a mile from the hotel. He had a massive heart attack, and died while driving his truck. His granddaughter grabbed the steering wheel, and stepped on the brake, and called 911. He was gone before the ambulance arrived. My classmate's wife died 6 weeks ago of cancer. His obituary should be in today's newspaper.
A family member of my classmate married into the Castronova family ( a cousin of mine). Castronova is my mother's maiden name. My cousin lost his wife 6 months ago to lung cancer. She was another classmate of mine.
This is another example of enjoying every moment that you are on this earth. You never know when your time is up!
I already know this, do you?

Have a great Tuesday!
I know that I will be having one for sure. Visualize a bunch of Italians in a kitchen all trying to be in charge as the home made Italian wine is flowing freely as we try to work together.
Too bad that we don't have a hidden camera in the kitchen. The people on "You Tube" would get a good laugh.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: