Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

It is so nice to be back in our own home on the other hand, I didn't wake up to the 80 degree + weather of Barbados. It is 35 degrees in the Berkshires as I begin this e-mail. I turned the heat on for a little while to get the chill out of the first floor of our home.
As we arrived back in the Berkshires, we did notice some tree tops have already to change color. The "Leaf Peeper" tourists better come to the Berkshires a week or two before the traditional Columbus Day weekend because the fall looks like it will arrive early.

Saturday went well for Linda and I. The hostess of the Brodeur Bed and Breakfast left for he 9 AM to 2 PM Saturday only "Introduction to Biology" class which she is teaching a local community college. The host served us breakfast, and we had a chance to read The Boston Globe from cover to cover before calling our son at their apartment, and Kyla at the hospital.
Max was feeling good, and the white blood cell count was pretty much back to normal so the pediatrician said that it was okay to take him home. Max had a viral infection, and not a bacterial one.
Kevin lost his fever, but both he and Kyla had the aches and pains from when you are getting the flu. Maybe their illness was sympathy pains from seeing their child at Mass General Hospital.
When the paperwork was done, we helped gather up all their stuff, and we went off to the hospital parking garage to help them load up their family car. We said our "Goodbye's", and headed west on the Mass Pike for the 2.5 hour ride home.

Social Calendar -- We have an monthly ITAM meeting today at 1 PM which we thought we were going to miss because of the babysitting in Hartford. You know from yesterday's e-mail that the baby sitting didn't happen. We also got invited to an picnic which starts at the same time as the ITAM meeting. I also have the Red Sox and the New England Patriots sporting contests which I want to see which start at the 1 PM hour.
Well, we are choosing the picnic over the ITAM meeting.
I do remember that there was a approach /approach conflict the last time we attended this picnic. When there was a little lull, I "snuck" into the hosts' home and watched some football. This was a little tricky because our hostess has her 95 year old dad, who is great physical shape, living with them. He usually watches television while the rest of us are partying. I would go in the house to check and see if he was taking a nap on the couch. If I did notice that he was sleeping, I would change channels to the sporting contest which I wanted to watch. Yes, I know this is rude behavior, but I just can't control myself.
If you are thinking that I should just listen to my sporting contests on a portable radio headset, it just can't happen. The hill town which my friends live in don't pick up the radio stations that well if at all.

Sports -- I did watch most of the Red Sox game last evening, but it was the last few innings. They did give the Baltimore Orioles a good spanking.

Observation -- After the Barbados trip, we stayed in Boston longer than we had planned because of Max's illness. One of the days, I took the dogs for a walk to the waterfront park which is one block from their apartment. While I was there, I met another guy who was taking his dog for a walk too. This nice man often socializes with Kevin when he walks the dogs. As we were chatting, and talking about health issues, which many of us baby boomers often do, he mentioned that he had change his life style of not eating so much red meat, and he has to cut back on his alcohol consumption. I told him that Kevin now makes his own "Veggie Burgers". Kevin created the Veggie Burger through a little scientific experimentation. Kevin was a level two research biologist before he changed professions. What ever I said too this guy must have made an impression because he called Kevin's restaurant as soon as it opened at 11 AM, and ordered a "Veggie Burger". Maybe I should have been in sales.
I did ask Kevin how the sales of the Veggie burgers are going at his restaurant. He said that there are many office workers in the area, and the Veggie Burger was a good idea of an item to add to his menu. He sold out of the first batch which he made in a couple of weeks. "Word of mouth", and the good food that you put in your mouth from "Dough" are the best selling points.

Well, the local newspaper, and the Boston Globe have arrived. I have to read those before I whip up a batch of brownies for today's picnic. We will be wearing sweaters and sweatshirts for sure. We might not even reach 70 degrees today. Linda and I must admit that we do love this fall like weather.
Have a great Sunday.
Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

P.S. Go Red Sox, and Go New England Patriots!

No comments: