Friday, February 5, 2010

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,



I started my morning at Retro Fitness. I decided to be there when the doors open at 4:30 AM. About half way through my routine today, the full figured women, and the muscle bound guys filtered in. It was a pleasant workout overall.



Even though I went there a little later yesterday and there were very little distractions, the rising sun turned out to be a problem. One bank of treadmills faces the eastern sky. The sun was directly in my eyes. There is a television screen on each treadmill, but it didn’t help with respect to blocking out the sun. It would not have been a problem if I was a little height challenged. Eventually, I did get on a machine with my back to the sun.



It was nice to go into my “Man Cave” last evening with a plate of delivered Chinese food, and a new book. I ended up falling asleep during the Boston Bruin Hockey game. The Bruins have lost their 9th game in a row.



Social Calendar – We have to prepare a couple items for our Super Bowl Party on Sunday before we head off to do the noon time radio program at a local station. Linda is a little nervous about doing the program, but I am looking forward to it. She knows that I love such things, and she sometimes calls me “The Babbler”. She knows that I can talk for ever, and I often don’t know when to stop babbling! I think that I inherited part of this trait from my father.

We will probably hook up with another couple or two for supper tonight if all goes well.



Politics / News – I see where they are going to charge one of those bailout bankers with criminal charges. My Republican and Independent voter friends were correct about being cautious about giving money to these bankers. Even though some good did come out of the taxpayer bailout, not all people can be trusted when you hand them bags of money.

I also see where those people who got arrested for trying to supposedly save the Haitian children want the United States Government to intervene on their behalf. As I was treadmilling along this morning while watching CNN news, details came out about some of the people arrested. A few of the individuals arrested may be worth saving, but the rest should take the punishment doled out by the Haitian government.



More people watch the Super Bowl for the commercials than for the game itself. One of Linda’s friends wants to arrange a session of Mah Jongg since her husband and one of his friends are all set to watch the football game in her home. Most of the friends whom she plays with will be at our Super Bowl Party along with other women who don’t know how to play the game. Now you might be thinking that I should invite this woman and her friends, but we would need a larger house to accommodate everyone. Linda is always afraid that when we have a party that I would invite the world. Can I help it if our circle of friends is a bit large?



Observation – While out doing errands yesterday afternoon, I was observing people driving while talking on their cell phones. The 10 or so drivers which I saw were female. One lady zoomed through the parking lot of this strip mall that we were in at a seemingly lightening speed. She never looked left or right as I was going down a row of cars. She was going across several rows not paying any attention to people or cars. If she had hit a car or person, I would have willingly testified against her at a trial.

I started thinking about which sex talks the most on cell phones while driving. If I had to vote yesterday, it would have been females.

We are getting very close to having a law passed in Massachusetts banning talking on cell phone while driving, or at least banning texting while driving. They did a study that showed that the using of a cell phone while driving is almost as bad as driving when intoxicated (.08 in Massachusetts). I must admit that I don’t do well at driving while using the cell phone.



Our son in Boston and his wife are getting closer to owning their own home. We might be going east next weekend to Boston to go through the house which they are considering to purchase. They were working on getting an appointment with a certified inspector for next Saturday. Linda and I will be there if it all works out.

Purchasing your first home is an exciting event. Going from an apartment to a house is nice especially when the little ones start arriving.



I got distracted by the hot water tank problem, and forgot that I had live bait in my bucket in the garage. When I checked the bait yesterday, they were deceased. The water in the bucket had changed into a solid block of ice. Death by freezing was the diagnosis. I needed hot water to dissolve the ice so that I could get at the remains. The garbage disposal is a wonderful device for certain things.

Talking about fish, how about the guy doing a little kite sailing in the ocean in Florida? The description of how the wind died, and then he was attacked by sharks (and he eventually died) convinces me that this is another sport that I would do only on fresh water ponds, and not in the ocean. I don’t blame the sharks because they probably thought that this guy was a seal which is a staple in their diet.



Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and the USA Today. I picked up the USA Today knowing that they would have a separate section just on the Super Bowl. My guess was correct.

Have a great weekend.

Hope that you team wins the Super Bowl.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: