Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,



We finally picked up some snow. I am guessing that we picked up a little over 6 inches of the white stuff. It is like a winter wonderland outside.

I need to fire up the snow blower to do our side walks, and paths to my bird feeders. I have to wait until the neighborhood wakes up. Oh Darn!

We are in for several days of snow showers.

Our friends in Atlanta will be enjoying a day in the low forties. The cool temperatures are not what they bargained for when they moved to Atlanta.



The Pasta dinner went well last evening. My UNICO brothers in the kitchen, and the organizers of the event were a little nervous that people wouldn’t show up, but they did even though it was snowing intensely from about 3:30 PM until 6 PM.

It was another crowd which was close to 200 people. By the time that we cleaned up the Italian American Club hall, and kitchen, it was close to 7:30 PM. The Italian American Club is only 3 miles from our home which means that it was an early night for my friend and I.



Social Calendar – Our calendar indicates that we have a free day, but Linda and I have to do a bunch of errands. One of the errands is to purchase a car seat at Target. Linda has done the research, and we will pick one up today. Yes, we do have friends and relatives who own car seats, but the borrowing and returning of them is a pain especially when you need the car seat at the same time.

We have a baby sitting gig next week for our 6 month old East Boston grandchild. We will be picking him up in East Boston, and he will be vacationing with us in the Berkshires for a few days. His Mom has a work related conference out of town, and Kevin has to work in his restaurant.

Linda also called the police department. We will be making an appointment to have the car seat installed properly. One of the policemen is assigned to this task. I know what you are thinking! Why don’t you do this task yourself? Our cars are so old that we have to use a special clip to hook the car seat up with the seat belts. I have tried and tried to secure car seats tightly, but I haven’t mastered the technique. Our grandchild would be rocking a rolling down the length of the Mass Pike, which is not good.



One of my Italian friends finally started using a crock pot. He had some friends over and decided to cook for them. He made his sauce in the crock pot. He received rave reviews from his guests.



Speaking of food today is a day of fast and abstinence (no meat) for most people of the Christian faith. Linda and I haven’t discussed our main meal selection for today. It will be some form of a fish or seafood product or maybe a nice a casserole of homemade baked Macaroni & Cheese. I am leaning toward a scallop dinner at the Highland Restaurant in Pittsfield.

Linda and I used to go there every time Kevin had a Wednesday night hockey game in Pittsfield when he was in high school.



Observation – I am trying to feel sorry for the climber who authorities tried to rescue, but they found him dead in the crater of a volcano. I think that the family of the guy should pay every cent spent on the rescue attempt. It is a tragedy that he died, but I can’t feel any sympathy. When a person engages in a risking adventure like ice-climbing, rock climbing, skiing in avalanche prone areas, etc., the person has to accept the dangers that go along with the adrenaline rush of accomplishing the goal. It is like me engaging in the sport of ice-fishing. I could go on the ice when there is two inches of ice, but I know that not all the ice forms in an exact 2 inch layer. I, being of a sound mind, would never venture out onto the ice unless there is at least 6 inches of ice. Anything less than 6 inches, and I would be risking my life. Driving a car or truck on the ice is a whole other issue.

With respect to the original guy of my observation, you have to have special insurance if you are involved in risky activities before the insurance company will pay off a claim to the beneficiary.



My father called yesterday, and told me that the nursing home lost my mother’s teeth. It is not a pretty sight seeing your 93 year old mother gumming her food. My mom has an appointment to get them replaced soon. Our family really doesn’t need this bump in the road.



Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and do some quiet activities before cranking up the snow blower, and taking out the garbage. Our plow guy has already done our driveway.



Have a great Wednesday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: