Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,



Another day went pretty much as planned.



After making a late morning breakfast of French toast for the both of us, I deiced that I should go off and see dear old Mom at the nursing home. When I arrived at Mom’s room, I noticed that her roommate’s portion of the room looked totally empty. Her roommate passed away during Friday at some point. She had been a resident of the nursing home for 13 years. Before her roommate passed away she even told my mother that my mother has been the best roommate that she has had.



To make appositive out of the situation, I asked the nurse if they could change Mom’s bed to the one closest to the window. She said that she could make it happen.



While at the nursing home, I decided to visit a former teacher colleague of mine. I went to his room, but I didn’t see his name on the nameplate outside of the door. I went to the nurse’s station, and I was told that my friend was discharged from the nursing home to the hospital. The nurse couldn’t provide any details, but I got the feeling that the hospital might be the last stop for my friend.

After this failed attempt of visiting someone who I knew at the nursing home, I saw an old friend from the neighborhood where we lived when were first married. He was wheeling his mom to his car. He takes her out for car rides on the weekend. The woman and I know each other, and I was wondering why she didn’t say “Hello” to me. Her son said that her mother’s mind has left her.

I then headed off to visit another person who is a friend of the family. I finally was able to communicate with a person who does have all of her mental faculties. What also was nice was the fact that there is some hope that this friend will be returning to her home.

While visiting my mother, my father and sister happened to show up too.



Our evening dinner party went extremely well. Much fun and merriment took place. The hosts prepared a wonderful meal. The main meat was a stuffed pork loin. It was cooked to perfection. We started off with a wonderful squash soup. We had a twice baked potato and green beans to go along with the pork as well as a healthy salad. One of the guests is a professional cake maker. Her carrot cake was a big hit for dessert. The party broke up around 10:30 PM.

At one point in the evening, the hostess pointed out that all four couple have last names beginning with the letter “C”. We are now known as “The Four C’s.”



As I was telling my friends my nursing home stories, we all agreed that the partying which we were doing that evening should take place as often as possible. We better enjoy life as much as we can while we still have our health. What I observe at the nursing home appears to be a preview of coming attractions!



Social Calendar – No we don’t have a quiet day on tap. Linda and I will be heading off to our monthly ITAM meeting. We will be there for the officer’s portion of the meeting, but we have to leave before the regular meeting starts. We have to do this because we are heading off to dinner and a concert in a town about 40 minutes from Pittsfield.



Weather – I see where my son and his family in Kansas might be picking up some snow today. We are still on track for getting some snow during the middle of this upcoming week. The coastal waters will get mostly rain.



Well, I have to read the Sunday newspapers.

Have a great Sunday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: