Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day from Pittsfield

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned for Linda and me in the Berkshires.

The Kentucky Derby party was great especially since Linda picked the winning horse, and I had a place ticket on the same horse. Neither of us knew what horse the other person was betting. Linda won $45 and I won $20. Too bad that we didn't place our bets at an off track betting parlor just over the mountain in New York State.

Our homemade ham salad sandwiches and tuna salad finger sandwiches were a big hit once again at the Derby Party.

The party broke up at 7 PM, but the evening didn't end for Linda and me. We went off to meet some friends at Patrick's Pub. They had just finished eating so we had a beverage and moved on to O'Laughlin's Pub. Linda and I had a quick snack while our friends had some beverages. We then headed off to a place called the "Back Nine", which used to be called the General Electric Athletic Association. They had a live band called Whiskey City, and they were great.

We left after the band completed their first set which was around 11 PM. Our friends partied on without the Curley's. Many of my former students were at the "Back Nine", and I was constantly quizzed to see if I could remember their names. They had to remind me who they were because I had no clue!

I am a little late with my daily blog because I woke up at 6 AM, and I started chopping up vegetables. We got invited to a cookout today, and I was asked to bring grilled vegetables. There will be 3 couples for sure, and 2 more who will arrive late. I fired up the grill at 6:30 AM, and it took me until 7:30 AM to finish grilling the vegetables.
When Linda came downstairs she noticed that I had on a pajama top, and underwear. She asked me if I did the grilling in my underwear. I said: "Yes". She also asked if I went out to the driveway in my underwear to get the local newspaper and the Boston Globe. I also said: "Yes". I guess that I must have done too much partying on Saturday night. Good thing that my underwear was almost the same color of my pajama top. Good thing that I have a wife who makes sure I don't walk out the door improperly dressed most of the time.

It is Mother's Day! As I always say most of our Holiday's are too short. All of us should thank our mothers profusely for all that they have done for us since we were born. Even though my mother is struggling to remember certain family members right now, I will only focus on those things that she did for the family to get us through some difficult times as we were growing up. My mother was a stay at home mom, and she did it all. She was the one who scrimped and saved, paid the bills, made sure that we were well fed, and made sure we were loved. My father and mother were great role models for us kids, and hopefully we have passed on what we have learned from them to our children. As we watch our two sons and their families, and how they interact with their own children, we can see that the chain has never been broken. Happy Mother's Day to all of you! Happy Mother's Day to my Linda! Moms are the glue which keeps families together.

Weather -- We have a day of warmth and abundant sunshine forecasted for today. It is so nice that we are going to have summer like weather for a change, and it looks like the next few days will be summer like too.

Well, Linda and I have to finish our Sunday routine before heading off to the cookout. Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

No comments: