Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

The Big Brothers and Big Sisters truck finally did come by to pick up the multiple bags of clothes from our closets. I saw the guy struggling as he put all the bags in the back of his truck.

There were two great articles in USA Today online. The first was an article about the Habitat Restore Outlets which are growing in record numbers throughout the country. Our friends the Christopolis' run the one which we have in Pittsfield. For my readers who have no clue what a Restore is, you should go to one in your community. Here is an example: Let's say that you are changing bedroom furniture in your house. If the furniture in your house is in good shape, you could donate the bedroom set to the Restore. Some one can then come into the Restore and purchase the bedroom set at a reduced price. The profits go to the Habitat for Humanity organization who will then use the money to fix up an old house, or build a new one for low income people. Sometimes the donated items are from high end donors, and you can get a real bargain at the Restore. Some people take their contractors with them to the Restore before they start renovating their own house. You may find vanities, doors, windows, kitchen cabinets, etc., which are in very good shape.

The second article was titled: "Men relax best when their wives are busy." I think that I already knew this, and I didn't need a study to prove it. When you do read the complete article it does also say the stress levels of our wives do drop as we husbands help with chores. They measured a chemical in our bodies called Cortisol, which increases in stressful situations. When I get up early, I start thinking of projects for Linda to do. Her Cortisol level must be off of the charts unless I am on the golf course for 4 or 5 hours at a time, or working one of the Pasta Fundaraisers. Do you think that she needed a study to verify when her stress levels are the highest?

Linda wasn't so lucky play Mah Jongg on Tuesday, but she did have fun socializing with a different group of friend's at Mazzeo's Ristorante. She said the restaurant was packed for a Tuesday night. You wouldn't have guessed that there was an economic downturn if you walked into this restaurant.

The Italian American Club was packed for the Steak & Dandelion dinner. People were sitting upstairs hall, and in the members' bar downstairs. I was among a group of people who ate our dinners at the downstairs bar. I wish that I won the 50/50 raffle because it was over $400. The function was run by the East Side Men's Club. I don't belong to this organization, but I have been asked to join it.

Linda is the only one socially engaged this evening. Today is her Wednesday Knitting Group gathering at 6 PM at Panera Bread. She loves going to this gathering of knitters. I feel a chicken Novena coming on while she is gone. I can't grill the chicken outdoors because we have rain and a flood watch in today's forecast.

Third Thursday is supposed to take place tomorrow, and I didn't realize that it takes place rain or shine. We did one Third Thursday in the rain last year, and it wasn't very nice. By the time we packed up, the police and our Irish Sister City booth were the only ones on the main street in downtown Pittsfield. I have to spend an hour or so loading up my car with all the items needed for our booth. I have to pick up the 30 pounds of Irish Bangers (pork based sausages) today, but I might end up freezing them if the weather turns out to be awful on Thursday.

I did have a chance on Tuesday to give my lawn a trim. Good thing that I didn't wait until today because it is raining out right now, and for most of the day. We might see the sun at some point this weekend. This sure has been one wet and damp spring for us in the Northeast. Usually, Linda and I stop using the crock pot when the warm weather arrives, but I might have to resurrect it. It is still comfort food weather in the Berkshires instead of grilling and chilling type of weather.

Sports -- My Red Sox game got postponed due to rain in Boston. I did watch the Bruins just barely squeak out a one goal win over the Tampa Bay Lighting team.

Arnold did a good job of keeping the fact that he had a "love child" out of the media for several years. I think that the current separation will lead to a divorce. This is not a unique situation, but if this happened with the average person, taking financially care of the love child might be a problem.

Well, I have to do some quiet chores, and take out the garbage since it is garbage pick up day for our neighborhood.

Have a great Wednesday at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: