Monday, May 9, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

Hope that everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day. Linda and I had a very pleasant one. The cook out that we were invited to became a cook in. We tried to sit outside for a little while until the clouds rolled in and the wind picked up. A friend did grill the Kielbasa and the burgers outside, but we ate the food at the dinning room table. Besides the meat, we had potato salad, and grilled vegetables. For dessert, a friend made lemon squares, and a strawberry / rhubarb pie. A person at the party who doesn't love rhubarb said that it was the best rhubarb pie that he had ever eaten. He had a couple of pieces of the pie.

Both of our sons called Linda to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. Maybe one of these holidays, we can all be together to celebrate the particular holiday.

Our military son sounded a little lonely because he hasn't been home since April 6. He missed his son's one year old birthday party, and he couldn't celebrate Mother's Day with his wife. This is another reason that we should thank everyone in the military for the sacrifices which military families make to keep our country safe. My son also had his upcoming move on his mind. He has to pack up his family and move from Leavenworth, Kansas to Moody Air Force Base in Valdosta, Georgia during mid June. Since he is currently doing some training in Tucson, Arizona he is trying to figure out how he is going to get his family moved.
I don't think that many of us would like the life style of moving to a new military base every two or three years. Joining the military service to "see the world" might be a little misleading.

Our son from Tewksbury spent Mother's Day together with his wife and son. Our grandson continues to love his matchbox cars. Every time we do a little cleaning in our house, we find a Matchbox under a couch, chair, coffee table, etc.

We receive pictures on an almost daily basis from our sons / and or their wives. The technology keeps us connected even if we can't be with them.

Social Calendar -- I am the only one who has something on our calendar today. I have a UNICO Board meeting at 6 PM. Even though Linda has no commitments, she will be heading off to get some pictures made for her Grandmother's Album at some point today. She likes the photo processing machines at CVS over the Walmart ones.

Weather -- The weather channel is forecasting 4 or 5 days of sunshine without a hint of rain for us in the Berkshires. I have to see it to believe it.
It looks like Memphis, and the Mississippi river are on a collision course. I might whine about cool weather in the Berkshires, but at least we don't have to worry about rivers overflowing their banks and destroying homes and lives.

Politics -- Our President made some comments on a talk program that Pakistan might have helped Osama Bin Laden hide in that compound where our military found, and eventually killed him.
It was actually a quiet weekend in most of the countries around the world. Could they have been celebrating Mother's Day too?

Our social calendar after today is pretty much filled up right through the end of May. We have at least three UNICO fundraisers booked in right now. One of them takes place on Thursday.

Observation -- Dull knives can hurt you more than sharp ones! While at the cookout on Sunday, I need to cut up some Kielbasa after my friend grilled it. I went into a drawer full of knives at the home which we were at to find an appropriate knife to slice up the Kielbasa. Every knife which I found was dull as can be. From now on, I am going to keep my knife sharpening tools in my car. Every party that Linda and I get invited to will have sharpened knives before we go home, or I will bring my own set of knives with me. I sometimes watch the people who own these dull knives proceed to chop and dice vegetables, slice up steaks, etc. They are so used to using dull knives that it has become their way of life. Once in a while I am asked to slice up lemons and limes for the beverage portion of a party. Did you ever try and cut lemons and limes with a dull knife? You may think that I am a bit anal retentive, but if you have been in the kitchen as often as I have been, you would know how important is to work with sharp knives.

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: