Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Linda and I had another day go as planned.

We left the house at 10:45 AM, and headed to the Willams Inn in Williamstown for our retired educator luncheon. The 44 people had choices of fish, chicken or beef pot roast. Linda had the fish, and she said that it was wonderful. I had the pot roast, and it too was cooked to perfection. The people who had chicken at our table were happy too.

The meeting went very well, but I did make one big blunder. I thought that the main speaker had his wife with him, but it was a co-worker. I introduced them as husband and wife. Well Robert Dean, the head of Elder Services, took my mistake quite well.
As an advocate for senior citizens, his basic theme was that his organization wants to keep seniors in their homes as long as possible. Nursing homes are the last resorts for our seniors. He pointed out that Elder Services deliver over 2000 meals per day to residents throughout the 460 square mile expanse of Berkshire County. Mr. Dean pointed out that he has over 400 volunteers working for his agency some of whom prepare the food and drivers who deliver the food to senior citizens. He said that you would not believe that some of these places where the food is delivered are on dirt roads in very remote areas.
My dad is one of those seniors who receive "Meals on Wheels".

Observation -- While on this leisurely 30 minute drive to Willamstown, I observed some people selling homemade wooden Adirondack Chairs. This got me thinking about these chairs. The chairs look comfortable, but this baby boomer sort of falls into the chair, and I can't get out of them. I have even tried to sit in the resin made chairs that you can find everywhere. The resin chairs are lighter than the wooden ones. I once tried to get into a resin chair, but the chair and I tipped over.
When we go to Tanglewood, or to the ocean we do not use "low to the ground" chairs anymore.

Our government is starting to make public some of the documents which were found when we took out Osama Bin Laden. He sure hated Americans. He wanted all of the Americans out of the Arab part of the world. He wanted all of his followers to kill as many Americans as they could. He wanted the deaths to occur in other big cities and smaller ones too.

I would bet that he didn't like the fact that our society has a one wife system. He had three wives, each of whom produced an offspring. Can you imagine that if you got tired or bored with one woman, you could just choose another younger one? I would like to have seen how his three wives got along in his house. I am not sure if they all lived under one roof.

Another thing I observed was when we were shown pictures of a bunch of poor people hovering over small televisions watching the news in their countries. I have thrown out perfectly good working old televisions when they had the electrical recycling day in Pittsfield. I have four more of those old televisions in the house right now. I wish that I could ship them to the poorer countries throughout the world instead of throwing them out.

My meeting went well last evening, but I have more jobs to do with respect to our August UNICO Golf Tournament.
Linda said that there were 14 knitters at her Wednesday night knitters gathering.

Social Calendar - I have to do some projects around the house before going off to the Babe Ruth Pasta Fundraiser today at the ITAM. My services are required at 3 PM, but we don't serve until the 5 PM hour. If I didn't ask my radio show host to talk about the fundraiser on his daily talk show, I am not sure if anyone knows about it except for the players and their parents.

Linda has a full day: Red Hat Breakfast at 9:30 AM, two body maintenance procedures, and a Book Club Meeting at 6 PM this evening.

I didn't go to bed a happy man because my Celtics and Red Sox both lost.

Today and Friday are the last two days of sunshine before the rain comes in on Saturday.

Well, I have to start some inside chores right now.
Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: