Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,

I was in error about how many people UNICO served on Sunday at the Pasta Fundraiser at Berkshire Hills Country Club. We served 500 + people and not the 400 hundred which I estimated. Now I understand why my legs were so tired from being on them from 9 AM until after 5 PM. I am not at liberty to tell you how much the Fundraiser made, but I will say that it will help the family very much.

The UNICO Membership meeting went well last evening. My neighbor and UNICO friend was sick as a dog, and didn't even eat any of the delicious food which we were served. He would have stayed home, but as the UNICO Charity Board Chairperson he had to get some checks which required two signatures before distributing them to worthy individuals or institutions.

The Meeting was like a love fest with the incoming administration praising the outgoing administration. The formal transfer of power takes place at our June 10, 2011 Installation Dinner at Cranwell Resort and Spa.

Linda also had a pleasant day. She hooked up with her shopping buddy at 4 PM and they hit the sale racks at Macy's before going off to supper at a restaurant just outside of the Mall entrance.

Social Calendar -- Linda has a more fun packed day on tap for today than I do. She has her normal Tuesday session of Mah Jongg at a friend's home, and then she comes home to freshen up for her evening function. She is going off to Mazzeo's Ristorante with some mom's who had children the same time as Linda and I had our two boys. While the women are dinning at Mazzeo's, I will be off to the Italian American Club for their annual Steak and Dandelion dinner. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me so I might be dinning alone. The cost is $20 per person.

Observation 1 -- When it is daylight, I am going to haul almost 20 bags of clothes to the end of the driveway. A Big Brothers and Big Sisters organization out of Springfield, MA comes by and picks up the clothes. I just attach a post card which they send about once per month to one of the bags, and they load them on to an oversized truck. If you are thinking how many bags of clothes represent the male side of the family, a good guess would be about three bags. Like I always say us males are very simple creatures when it comes to clothes and shoes. We usually wear clothes and shoes until they fall off of our bodies. When are wives or significant others get tired of seeing us in the same set of clothes, change will occur brought upon by female pressure. If we don't go out and purchase a new set of clothes on our own, our better halves will do it for us.

Observation 2 -- The reason for the Arnold and Maria split finally was made public. Arnold got a little too friendly with a house staff member 10 years ago, and he and the women produced a child. He admitted his affair to his wife, but it didn't go over well. Separation was their solution right now. People who are famous and well off have these marital problems highlighted in the media, but this situation happens in every socio-economic group of people. For some reason, the group of our baby boomer friends, who we hang around with, is still with the same people whom we married. I think that living from paycheck to paycheck or pension check to pension check helped to keep us together. There was never a money issues to fight over. We kept ourselves busy by raising our children and going to work each day. By the end of each day, we were so tired that sleep was the primary thing that we had on our minds.

Sports -- When my friend and I left the UNICO meeting last evening, I turned on the radio in my car. My Red Sox were losing by a 6 to 0 score. The Yankees were losing their game too. By the end of the game, which I watched in bed, the Red Sox rallied in the bottom of the 9th inning, and won their game. The Yankees weren't so lucky and their losing streak continues. After I return from my evening adventure, I can watch the Red Sox, and the Boston Bruins do battle in their respective contests.

Weather -- The temperatures in Pittsfield never reached 60 degrees on Monday. There is a counter clockwise front that is going to keep this area with cool and damp weather around just about into the weekend. The weather forecasters aren't sure when we are going to see the sun this week. Our first Third Thursday takes place this week, and our Irish Sister City Committee is set to go weather permitting. People won't come out if the weather is like it was on Monday. Oh Darn!

My body rhythm is out of whack. My afternoon nap on Monday was too long. I might try skipping a nap today.

My Radio Talk Show host friend missed a whole bunch of events that he and his wife were booked into over the weekend including the fundraiser. If you heard how he sounded on the radio on Monday, you would know why he didn't attend any of his booked in events.

The VNA nurse who came to see Linda on Monday is signing off on anymore VNA visits. We are hoping that the wound clinic doctor on Friday does the same thing.

Well, I have to get to some quiet chores.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: