Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned for the Curley's in the Berkshires.

I did exit the house before Linda woke up, and I was teeing off with my senior buddies by 7:30 AM. Only 6 of us from our normal Friday group of four foursomes showed up. The weather was okay which was sunny to start, but cloudy and cool as we ended our round.

I came home and went for a nap. This allowed me to stay awake for the Yankees vs Red Sox baseball game.

For supper we went to the Shamrock for their Friday night seafood. We sat at the bar and played Keno, and socialized with a couple who we met for the first time. This couple told us how they play Keno, after we lost playing the way which we normally do. Linda won enough to pay for dinner.

We went directly home, put on our sleepwear, and Linda watched television in the family room while I went into my Man Cave to watch the baseball game. The Red Sox never make things easy, and they always keep us fans on the edge of our seats. The starting pitcher leaves the game with a 5 to 2 lead after pitching 7 very good innings. The next two relievers slowly let the Yankees back into the game. I was on the edge of my seat until their cleanup batter for the Yankees popped up in the bottom of the ninth with men on base and two outs. A single by their big hitter would have tied the game.

Speaking of baseball, I got into a conversation with a baby boomer friend who played on an opposing high school basketball team in the 1960's. His elderly dad died during this past year, and we started talking about dealing with aging parents. This guy said that his dad was a diehard Yankee fan. He died of a heart attack while watching the Yankees do battle. I thought this might not be a bad way to go!

Social Calendar -- I am in a mental funk right now. There is the Annual Webs yarn sale just over the mountain in a place called Northampton. I was set to go with Linda even though there is nothing for me to do at the yarn sale. I usually bring a folding chair, a cooler, and a book. Linda shops and socializes with fellow knitters for hours. There are a few males who are knitters, or they are like me accompanying their wives or significant others.
As I came up from my Man Cave when the Red Sox game ended, Linda says to me that I don't have to go with her to the Yarn Store. Guilt kicked in as soon as she made that comment. She has gone through so much since the Hernia from Hell operation that I thought that going with her to the yarn sale would be the least I could do.
Some of her girlfriends do knit, but not with the intensity which she does otherwise I would have asked her to go to the sale with a couple of girlfriends.
I told her that I would make a decision this morning. What would some of my married or connected e-mail recipients do?

Of course, there are the Yankees vs Red Sox game, and the Boston Bruins doing battle at 8 PM this evening.

News -- I see where a town which knew that one of their own was a Navy Seal involved with the killing of Osama Bin Laden wanted to have a party/celebration for the Seal. The media picked up on this, and now the Navy Seal has a target on his back. One of the Bin Laden followers will seek revenge on the Navy Seal, and his family. When people have family members in the military, and in war zones, you can't go broadcasting what your loved ones have done. Revenge is a very strong motivating factor for retaliation.

Don't forget that today is the Nationwide Postal Service Food Drive. I am going to put out canned goods when I pick the local newspaper off of our driveway.

Well, I hear the Queen stirring. The Curley Lad has to make a decision whether to go with her or not! Have a great Saturday! Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: