Friday, May 20, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

The Third Thursday went very well, but I was one tired buckaroo when it ended at 8 PM. I was a little more tired than usual because I hovered over my "Grill to Go" gas grill, and an electric griddle pretty much alone. I did have the owner of Pasko Gift and Frame help out with the electric griddle, but her downtown store, like all the other ones, were open for business. If she had a customer in her store, she gave up the grilling and left it up to me. The electric griddle belongs to and is usually manned by our Irish Sister City President, but last night he chose to socialize for the whole evening. The Past President, who is recovery from a hip operation, chose to spend the night socializing too. I felt like the group decided to let the mostly Italian guy, who is 1/4 Irish, do the cooking. The female Irish Sister City Volunteers were my best workers. If I had to pay them, I would hire all of them. These female volunteers strung the Bangers on skewers, sold the Bangers, sold the Irish Whiskey Cake, as well as cookies, and water.

One of our last Irish Banger customers was a radio talk show host who helps promote events like this over the air waves of 1340 AM station.

When I set up my canopy for Third Thursday, I noticed that part of the frame was bent. I lent the canopy out for some event last year, and it came back in a damaged condition. If a person doesn't know what they are doing setting up and taking the canopy down, it is easy to damage. When I do get a new canopy, I will not lend it out.

Linda had a fun day, and she was just as busy as I was. She hosted an impromptu Mah Jongg session at our house at 1 PM. When the guests left, she whipped up her famous crab dip for her 6 PM Book Club meeting. When her book club meeting ended, she did make a guest appearance at Patrick's Pub where the Irish Sister Committee members met after the Third Thursday. Good thing she did show up at Patrick's Pub because I didn't have enough money for the food and beverages which I consumed.

At the home which didn't have television or internet service, their guest was last seen leaning out of a second floor bedroom window trying to pick up a signal for her cell phone so that she could communicate with her family in Florida. This family and their situation as described in yesterday's blog, and above would make a good skit for Saturday Night Live.

Social Calendar for Friday -- Linda tried to arrange a girls only surprise, and after the fact retirement party for a friend. Linda called at least ten female friends. She reserved a table for 10 at an Italian restaurant. The guest of honor didn't love the restaurant selection, not knowing that it was a party for her. She also thought it was a couples gathering at the restaurant, and had all intentions of taking her husband. Well the restaurant has been changed, and they will be going to an Asian restaurant. Linda has to cancel the reservations at the Italian restaurant, and call all the guests and tell them that the place has been changed. Even the simplest of plans can fall apart! This sounds like another Saturday Night Live skit. Do the Curley's have complicated sets of friends?

I did go to bed a tired, but happy man last evening. The Red Sox won their game which I was unable to watch. The Bruins did win their hockey game which I caught bits and pieces of at Patrick's Pub. I have my Red Sox to keep me entertained tonight. I might even invite the friend who has no television service over to keep me company. I would invite him over for a cookout, but our deck stain guy has not had several days of rain free weather to apply the stain. It doesn't look like it is going to be rain free today either.

I am supposed to play golf with the seniors this morning, but I don't do golf in the rain.

My car has so much Third Thursday stuff in it I can't even fit the golf clubs in the car right now. I also have to package and freeze the left over bangers and clean the grease laden grill.

The sun is supposed to come out for a little while during the middle of the day, but I have to see it to believe it.

Have a great day and a fun weekend.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: