Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Linda and I had another pleasant day on Tuesday.

I left the house first to deal with some golf committee stuff for our August UNICO golf tournament. I then met dear old mom at the Medical Arts Complex for her cardiologist appointment. She was taken to and from the nursing home by the Berkshire County Cabulance service. Mom's pacemaker and heart were doing fine. The appointment lasted no more than 10 minutes. Her hearing aide wasn't working like it should. My sister is always replacing batteries, and dealing with ear wax in the device. Oh Darn!

I didn't talk with my sister, but I would imagine that my dad's checkup in Springfield also went well.

I ate lunch with the Mah Jongg ladies when I arrive home. When they finished lunch, and starting playing the games, I took an afternoon nap. I did so because I wanted to stay up and watch the Red Sox in my Man Caver. Linda was watching the finales of many of her favorite programs.

I actually did watch the Oprah farewell which comes to an end today. Whether you like or dislike Oprah, she has had a powerful influence on millions of people during her 25 year reign as a talk show host. She launched the careers of many famous people like Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, etc. Some of themed programs have saved the lives of some many people especially when she dealt with subjects like losing a child, cheating during a marriage, suicide prevention, etc. The list of important topics is endless. My thought was that too bad that she didn't get married and have her own children. She does have a man in her life, and she does have her dogs, but the experience of having children, like some of us who were fortunate to have, is and continues to be priceless.

Linda was telling me about one of her favorite programs "Dancing with the Stars". The winner was a football player named, Hines Ward. Linda said that she might even become a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers because he was so nice and such a talented dancer. I say not in my house! The Steelers are one of the teams that the Patriots have to beat each year to make it to the Super Bowl. I will have no one in my house waving those yellow flags during a Patriot game. Yellow and Black are the Steelers' colors.

I was thinking about the media, and how they report the news. Japan is still dealing with their broken nuclear reactors as well as rebuilding their country, but you haven't heard much about that lately. Sarah Palin has been on the back burner. The Tea Party seldom gets brought up. A democrat actually won an election yesterday which wouldn't have happened a few months ago. The tornadoes and the death and destruction they have caused have been front page news. The ash cloud going across Europe is also dominating the news. Our soldiers being killed each day has been put on the back burner until they show a funeral of a home town hero who has lost his or her life.

Speaking of tornadoes, our daughter-in-law from Leavenworth, Kansas called and chatted with Linda last night for over 30 minutes. The sirens did go off the other night in their area. Danielle had to gather up her one year old son and three year old daughter, and go to the part of the house which was designed for when tornadoes are possibly going to strike. During a visit, I saw this area in their house, and I thought that it was an extra storage area or a great place to hide when you are playing "Hide and Seek" with the children. Not!

As mentioned before, our military son hasn't been home since April 6, 2011 due to some training. Super mom, Danielle, has been functioning on her own. She told Linda that she even had a bout of pneumonia while trying to take care of their children. Oh Darn! The plan right now is for Mike to come home some time in June as the movers are packing up their possessions, and then drive one of their two cars from Kansas to Valdosta, Georgia. He has to be back for a graduation ceremony in Arizona around the 18th of June. He then gets his family settled in Georgia after the graduation. After a short couple of weeks together, our Lt. Colonel son gets shipped off to a war zone for several months. Like I always say, every one of us Americans should thank our past and present military people for keeping America the land of the free.

Social Calendar -- I have an 8:30 AM dentist 6 month check up which I am not looking forward to. Linda has her knitting gathering at Panera Bread this evening at 6 PM. I have golf committee meeting at the Italian American Club at 6 PM. After my meeting, I go upstairs into the main hall of the Italian American Club for a political fundraiser for our Ward Councilor, Paul Capitanio. Monday and Tuesday were the only two days this week when we fortunate to stay home and have supper together. Sunday is our next free day on our social calendar.

Weather -- Today is the first day that we don't have the word "rain" in the forecast. Two days of total sunshine won't happen until next week. Oh Darn!

Sports -- My Red Sox did win last evening. The Red Sox have a noon time game. The Boston Bruins do battle this evening in Tampa Bay. I will hopefully be able to watch the last two periods of this game.

Have a great Wednesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: