Monday, July 12, 2010

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,

The Berkshire contingent met for Sunday breakfast at our hotel in Falmouth around 8:30 AM. One couple was already on the road back to the Berkshires by the time that we arrived for breakfast. We said our “Goodbye’s” around 9:30 AM, and headed off of Cape Cod. As we approached the Massachusetts Turnpike, I asked Linda if she wanted to not get on the Turnpike, and instead to keep heading North on Route 495 to see Kevin, Kyla, and Max in North Tewksbury. This is about a 30 minute ride when there is no traffic. We arrived just about the time that Max was waking up from a morning nap. We had a brief visit, and a quick lunch before we exited North Tewksbury for the Berkshires. We decided to take the scenic Route 2 highway back to the Berkshires.
While in North Tewksbury, we met their house guests who will be staying there until they close on their house in Tewksbury at the end of July. Their houseguests will be living about 9 miles from Kevin and Kyla’s home.
We also found out that Kyla has been acting like a Domestic Goddess, and making supper time meals for her houseguests. Even though Kyla said that she is enjoying cooking, we suggested that certain days of the week that their house guests should be preparing the evening meals. As in-laws, we can suggest, but that is just about as far as it can go.
Kyla said that her company has just got involved in a big case, and that she will be required to drive to and from the city which the case is located in. Picking up Max at day care, and being a Domestic Goddess is going to radically change.
I would be doing a lot more meal preparation by using the crock pot.
If Linda and I lived closer to Kevin and Kyla, we would be helping out for sure.

After we arrived in Pittsfield, we barely had time to empty the car before Linda had to go off to a girl’s gathering at a friend’s home at 6 PM. I washed some clothes while Linda was partying.
I headed upstairs at 10 PM to watch the news, and she still wasn’t home yet. I will get all the details when she wakes up.

Social Calendar -- I think that Linda will be going golfing with her girlfriends this afternoon. I have a 6 PM Golf Committee meeting at the Italian American Club.
The contractor is sending a sheetrock, and wallpaper removal guy at 8 AM to start on the laundry room today even though we are still haggling with the insurance company.
Linda and I can’t stand the confusion. There won’t be any impromptu picnics at our house until our house gets back to normal. The original time frame was estimated to be a month. We are hoping that things go more quickly!

World News – It was the usual turmoil through out the world. Suicide bombers continue to kill innocent people; the war in Afghanistan continues with more American soldiers being killed, the oil spill in the Gulf continues to dump oil, etc.
This is why I keep reminding people to be happy in their own little world if they can. Surround yourself by family and close friends. Hug your grandchildren like we did yesterday if you are fortunate to have grandchildren.

I just returned from Retro Fitness – I engaged in no conversation with anyone which is the way I like it. It was too early for the beautiful people to arrive.

Observation – The owners of the hotel which we stayed at on Cape Cod were from India. There were very pleasant and helpful, but we really had to listen to pick up the accent. I was thinking that when our Italian grandparents arrived on the shores of America, they too must have encountered a language barrier. My Italian grandfather on my mother’s side was from Sicily, and he spoke no English when he arrived in my home town of Lee. Massachusetts. He learned the English language as he entered the work force. My mother tells me that her mother never learned to speak English. My Aunts and Uncle learned English, but they always spoke Italian when they were saying things that little ears weren’t supposed to hear. I wish that I paid attention as a child growing up and living next door to these grandparents. Learning to speak the Italian language would be a real plus in this day and age. Even though we belong to a good number of Italian organizations, many of my friends are like me, and can’t speak the language.

Well, I have to get to some quiet chores.
I am going to give the lawn a trim as soon as the grass dries out from the morning dew.
Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: