Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hello on Wednesday morning

Dear Friends,

Tuesday was hot enough for me. One of our female friends said that she loved the heat. This is the same female friend who is always cold when the rest of us are enjoying temperatures in the low 70’s with no humidity.
There was no place to hide from the heat on Tueswday. I went to Walmart to pick up a few items. I probably should have walked around the store for several hours and enjoyed the air conditioned shopping. Actually it sounds nice, but I am like a kid in a candy store because I would fill up the cart with non essential items in no time at all.

I got so desperate yesterday that I ironed shirts for our weekend trip, and watched World Cup soccer in one of our air conditioned bedrooms.

Our son in North Tewksbury spent his day off dealing with a central air conditioning problem as well as chasing around his 11 month old son who has mastered crawling. The central air conditioning on the first floor wasn’t working at his home. He had a technician, and eventually the guy’s boss there to solve the problem. This was after they were there for almost 8 hours. When Kevin called us to relay his story, we ended the conversation by saying to Kevin; “Welcome to the world of home ownership!”

Speaking of our son, Linda asked him how the camping experience went. He said it went okay, but they forgot a few essential items. They cooked over an open pit fire. Kyla purchased an inexpensive set of pans. They forgot to take a pack and play for their child. They did have a friend who had a home in Freeport, and they did party a couple times at their home.
When we went camping, I used to make a list of things which we needed to take. I would start off with a car top carrier to hold the sand chairs, kid toys, etc.
Every campground had a fire place, but we would use it to sit by at night to keep the bugs away, or to cook marshmallows. We hada portable stove / grill of some sort as well as separate device to make coffee in the morning. We had separate clear plastic containers for knives, forks, 4 plastic plates, 4 salad bowls, sets of utensils, wine opener, coffee mugs. Another container, would contain things like cooking oil, salt, pepper, spices, coffee, sugar packets for coffee. Coolers would contain milk, beverages, etc. You have to have lantern, hatchet, rope for hanging clothes. When Kevin was a kid, I guess he forgot that Mom and Dad took care of all the details.

After supper, I tried to watch the Red Sox in the screened in room on our deck. I gave up after 30 minutes, and went back to the air conditioned bedroom. The Sox lost another close one. Another one of the starters hurt himself yesterday. I hope that he doesn’t need crutches too. When they Red Sox channel shows pictures of their dugout, it looks like a hospital ward since so many of their starters are on crutches.

When Linda decided to head off to Mah Jongg on Tuesday morning her car was dead. I think that when I got her car inspected the other day, the head lights were left on, and I didn’t pay attention because the lights in my Subaru go off when I shut the car off. The car sat in the driveway while we were partying all weekend with the lights on, and drained every bit of life out of the battery. A jump start from AAA got it going, and they guy said to drive around for 20 minutes to recharge the battery. Of course this kept me in the heat for a couple of hours. I actually took the car to our auto mechanics guy and explained that the whole situation. He was the one that noticed my lights were on. How dumb can a person like me be?

Our house is still a mess. An adjuster is coming today at 10 AM to see if we can get the insurance company, and the contractor to agree to more reasonable numbers to get the house back to normal. The contractor said that this could be a month long job. I would ask Linda’s godson (who is a contractor) to the job, but he can’t be away from his newborn for a whole month since they live in New Hampshire in a town called Windham. If it was a week long job, I would have him and his crew use some of the spare bedrooms, and stay until the job is done.

I just got back from Retro Fitness. The number of people working out at 4:30 AM was less than normal. I must admit that I have been a little lax about working out. Today it was like working out for the first time in a long while. I have decided to get back into the routine once again.

Social Calendar – Linda has a Mah Jongg session tonight at a friend’s home. We won’t be hosting any Mah Jongg sessions for a long time.
I have a golf committee meeting at 6 PM tonight. I am feeling a little uncomfortable about this meeting because we are all bringing cell phones, and calling people who have sponsored our golf tournament in the past as well as people who normally play in the golf tournament. Even though I am never at a loss for words, I really don’t like calling people and begging for their financial assistance. I don’t even like selling raffle tickets. If you asked me to help out in the kitchen for a particular fundraiser, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so.

Well, I have to get to my first task of the day which is to give the plants a drink. Is that a quiet activity?
Have a great day. Drink plenty of liquids. We are in for another day or two of temps in the 90’s.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: