Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned for the Curley’s.

My golf was okay, but not stellar. I helped my team on two of 18 holes. I received a tip from one of my players which helped me with my driving aspect of my game. We were a little short of players so the team that I was assigned to was only a threesome. I always play with guys who are older than me. One guy was 73 years old, and the other was 75 years old. The 75 year old had three birdies and a bunch of pars as I was hacking my way around the course. We still lost the maximum amount you could lose which was three dollars.
I arrived home and grilled a beef tenderloin which we took as an appetizer for our evening adventure. I (Linda did because I forgot to cook them) also cooked some caramelized onions, and slimly sliced a whole wheat baguette. The way you eat this appetizer is to spread some fancy mustard on the bread, put a piece of the rarely cooked, and thin sliced beef on next, and top off the beef with a few of the caramelized onions. Another couple brought jumbo shrimp steamed fresh at the market where she purchased the shrimp. She also brought a vegetable dip, but I don’t remember eating any of the healthy vegetables. The host couple brought deviled eggs, and cheese, crackers, and a pepperoni like meat whose name eludes me right now. The host also made some homemade cookies. There were none left by the end of the concert.
The music was great, and I stayed awake during the whole concert because I took a nap after golf. The husband of the host, who plays golf with us on Friday, also took a nap.
The concert wasn’t crowded, and the walk to and from the restrooms was an easy walk. I say easy because if you never attended a concert you don’t have a clue how difficult it is to go to the restrooms when 15,000 people are sitting on the lawn at Tanglewood. This will happen when we attend the James Taylor Concert on Monday evening.
Linda and I are so glad that we wore long pants and not shorts. It started to get a bit brisk as the sun when down. This was just about the time when the concert started at 8:30 PM. If we were with our friend whose is always cold, she would have had on winter clothes and she would have had a blanket covering her..

Social Calendar – Linda will be spending a good portion of the day in the kitchen making her Calico bean dish and a red potato salad for the picnic which we are attending on Sunday. I am going to visit Dad in Lee, and Mom in the nursing home while Linda is doing her Domestic Goddess thing this morning.
There is a chance that we might be invited to a picnic at a friend’s home this evening which would be nice.

Observation 1 – One of the couples whom we were with last night was a former college roommate of the host. This lady was married, has three grown children, and she is now divorced. The happy part of the story is she is now going with a guy whom she grew up with and went to school with since they were in elementary school. He never married. Some how their paths crossed, and now they are one happy couple. They live in 2.5 hours away in Connecticut, but if they lived closer they would be part of our circle of friends. I saw a similar story in the AARP several months ago from people who have found that special person (an old classmate) after going through a divorce or by way of losing a significant other because of some health issue. It all goes back to one of the Curleyisms; “Man cannot live on bread alone!”

Observation 2 – One of my e-mail readers always sends me an e-mail about the unhealthy foods that I sometimes put into my body. There was a great article on the national news the other day. They were talking about longevity. Eat right, and exercise, and prescription drugs, no smoking, consuming alcohol in moderation can get you to the lower to mid 80’s. From that age to the 100 year + age mark, genetics takes over. So all you healthy eating and physically fit people it is genetics which make us who we are. It is genetics that give the Curley Lad his full head of hair. You can work with Mother Nature, but you can’t fight her!

Our son Kevin and his family are camping in Freeport Maine as I type this e-mail. I can’t wait for some of the camping pictures as they head off to the beach today. He put a couple on Facebook. He took the pictures while at the campground. You might be thinking that Linda and I should go camping with them on their next adventure. We were talking about camping last night when we were at Tanglewood. Our sleeping on the ground days are pretty much over. The days of snuggling in a sleeping bag with your significant other were great times. The problem now is that we need help getting up. Linda has a bum knee. My surgically repaired quadriceps tendon has decreased my mobility.
Yes, we have our camping gear ready, and I could have the car packed in 30 minutes because I have the gear in various sized labeled buckets.
What I really do miss is waking up early (which is not new for me) and firing up the portable grill. I usually make home fries and bacon. I have a different heat source for putting on a pot of coffee. The cooking smells and the percolating coffee permeate the nearby tents, and all of a sudden I have woken up the whole campground. People then can tell me how they like their eggs. I make a few pieces of toast, and you would have the best breakfast that you have ever had. I did this when we took our two boys camping, and I would think that Kevin would be doing the same thing for his family. I am not sure if Kevin bought a grill for this camping adventure. It might be Denny’s Breakfast for Kevin and his family if he doesn’t have all of the camping gear yet. The nice thing is that Freeport, Maine is where L.L. Bean is located.
The next day it would be French Toast or Pancakes with bacon on the side. I am getting hungry just talking about it!

Sports – The Yankees lost, and the Red Sox won their game. Add the Red Sox catcher, Jason Veritek, to the disabled list. He broke his leg. I hope the second string players can keep playing the way that they are doing so far.

Have a great Saturday.
Today is the last day before the HHH weather arrives.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: