Friday, July 30, 2010

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,

If you go outside this morning in the Berkshires, you will need a light jacket. Baby it is cool outside and I love it! Cool mornings with a warm up as the day progresses is exactly why people from Boston and New York flock to the Berkshires in the summer. When you can shut off the air conditioner at night, and let Mother Nature cool your house down, then Life is Good!

After doing a couple errands on Thursday, I loaded up the car with items that could help Kevin and Kyla to put on the birthday bash to remember for their soon to be one year old son. Even though Max won’t remember his first birthday, all 60 + of us party goers will. A lot of pictures will be taken for sure.

Speaking of pictures, Linda made prints of the pictures which she took in Kansas while we were visiting Mike and his family. We do have some good looking grandchildren.

My car has so much stuff in it right now that we couldn’t fit any other person in it besides Linda and me. If we had children, we would have to strap them to the roof of the car.

Sports – My Red Sox had the night off last evening. The Yankees keep rolling along. The Red Sox are at home for a few games. The Yankees travel to Tampa this weekend. It will be a battle between the first and second place teams in the Eastern division. Somebody is going to come out wounded, and we Red Sox fans are hoping that it will be the Yankees.

It doesn’t look like we will be leaving Pittsfield before 8 AM this morning. Getting Linda up and functioning for 8 AM is a challenge in itself.

We will be in food preparation mode as soon as we arrive in North Tewskbury. Linda, Kyla, who is taking the day off, and I will be whipping up multiple side dishes for the party. We will be making the usual potato salad, baked beans, regular salad, vegetable pasta salad, appetizers which we haven’t decided on right now. Kevin will be going into work for a half day, and preparing some foods in his restaurant after he makes it through the lunch crowd.
I didn’t realize that Kevin had mentally separated lunch from supper. The hot dogs and hamburgers are coming out for lunch, but some ribs, and either some pulled pork or pulled chicken (or both), and whatever else he has decided to put out. I packed our electronic pressure cooker so that we don’t have to wait 10 hours for the pork to cook in a crock pot. Essentially we want most of the stuff prepared before hand. We don’t want Kevin and Kyla to be the caterers; they should be the hosts of the festivities, and not running around like crazy people. I will most likely be the master of the grill.

Speaking of the grill, I was thinking of cooking a couple of beer can chickens for supper this evening with all the fixings. I took the liberty of inviting the Brodeur’s for supper since we will be using their spare refrigerator to store the side dishes which we are preparing today.
I think that it is so good to have the Brodeur’s living one street over. If Kevin needs a tool of some kind, a barrel for the keg of beer, from the vast Brodeur hardware supply, or Kyla needs a temporary baby sitter for Max (which Ginny has done before), it is the Brodeur’s to the rescue. Of course, if Linda and I need a place to sleep, which we will this weekend, the Brodeur’s said that we are totally welcome.
Remember me saying that family and friend’s are what life is all about. This weekend will be a good example of that.

We communicated with the contractor on Thursday. He wanted to start replacing the floors on Monday. We would love to stay in North Tewksbury until everything is done, but our social calendar won’t allow us to do so. Linda and I both have commitments on Monday.
Also, much of the stuff that I have packed in the car will be used for the Ethnic Fair which takes place on Sunday of next week (August 8, 2010 from 12 PM until 6 PM rain or shine)

Gulf Oil Spill – It looks like the cap on the well is working. What I didn’t realize was that there are 100’s of oil wells that have been capped, and which are sticking out of the waters in the Gulf. We are talking about 15 to 20 foot structures where a runaway barge could just crash into, and send more oil spilling out into the Gulf.

News – I see where an overweight woman in France over a 17 year period had 8 babies, and smothered them without her husband even knowing that she was pregnant. I don’t know how and why a person can kill those little bundles of joy. After having children of our own, and watching our three grandchildren go from birth to their current state of growth is a wonderful thing. We have several sets of friends who weren’t able to have children, but even they know what it is like through their active participation in the lives of their nieces and nephews.

While we were on a date night on Wednesday at Matt Reilly’s I was doing so well not spilling any food on my shirt. I was having the last few bites of some sweet potato fries from Linda’s plate. I dipped a fry in some leftover tartar sauce. A couple globs of tartar sauce went tumbling down my dress shirt. After washing the shirt twice, I found a 5 dollar bill in the washing machine. It was mine! I paid for some beers at Matt Reilly’s, and stuff the change in my shirt pocket. I have a very clean 5 dollar bill. I was also thankful that I didn’t have a cell phone in the pocket of my shorts (which I have washed before).

This will be the second weekend that I won’t be playing golf with the seniors. I hope that I didn’t miss the mid season cookout at our treasurer’s home!

Well, I am going to read the local newspaper, and do some noisy activities.
I am ready to head to North Tewksbury, but I am not sure about Linda.

Have a great and fun weekend.
The Curley’s will be having one for sure.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: