Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hello on Ash Wednesday

Dear Friends,

In a few short hours, I will not be going to the hospital to visit Linda. I am heading to a friend's home in Lee so that we can caravan to State REAM (Retired Educator Association of Massachusetts) meeting in Worcester, Massachusetts. The meeting goes from 10 AM until 2 PM. This means that I won't arrive at Berkshire Medical Center until late afternoon. Linda said that it was okay if I attended this event.

Speaking of Linda, she was still receiving dose of antibiotics and pain medication. Her incision is still sore and tender to the touch. Her spirits are better. One friend called her, she spent several minutes going through her whole ordeal. Another friend stopped by during the mid afternoon, and she explained her ordeal for a second time. I brought two books, and she hasn't read a single page. Yesterday, she asked me to bring a few of current her knitting projects, and she never got to do any knitting.

Infection fighting is a very slow process. Her wound is still open and it is healing from the inside out. Her wound is constantly draining which requires bandage changing throughout the day and night. The surgeon and the morning herd of doctors are saying that she is improving each day. The infectious disease people stopped by yesterday, but Linda was indisposed, and they never returned. Because they didn't return, hopefully was a good sign.

She still gets out of bed and takes short walks which are recommended for every patient. She has all of meals sitting up in a chair. She likes the meal portion of her day. Being poked and prodded is her least favorite activity of the day. Her veins are starting to become a problem. If she stays in the hospital much longer, she will need a port for the antibiotics, and pain medication. Some pain medication come in liquid form, but intravenous is the best way to get the antibiotic, and pain medication into her body.

Last night, my neighbors picked me up at the hospital, and took me out for supper. We had a very nice meal at the Highland Restaurant. My neighbor was with his daughter, but not with his wife. His wife is in Texas on work related business.

During the supper, I started saying hello to all kinds of people who I know. My neighbors said that I should run for office since I know so many people.

Weather -- We have some nuisance snow to rain arriving later on this evening into the Thursday morning commute. When you are retired, who cares?

I have some raisins soaking in some whiskey. I decided that I have to make Irish Soda bread for the Sunday "The Forty Shades of Green Art Show" at the Lichtenstein Center on Rennie Avenue in Pittsfield. I was going to purchase the Irish Soda Bread at a local grocery store, but I don't want people attending the event to think that the store bought Irish Soda Bread was made by The Curley Lad. If the grocery store used my recipe, which I keep secret, they wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves. The Irish Sister Committee members will be manning the reception table from 1 to 3 PM. "Rakish Paddy" will be playing music at the Art Show for a couple of hours. The reception will include white and red wine, soda, Irish Soda Bread, Brownies, etc. The Art show is free of charge. Hope to see all of you there. Linda was supposed to make the brownies, but I saw a friend in the hospital with her brother who was a patient. She said that she would make the brownies. My philosophy that you should surround yourselves with family and friends as way to live a happy and full life came through once again.

For the Catholics receiving this e-mail, today is Ash Wednesday. This is supposed to be a day of fast and abstinence. We are not supposed to consume meat on Ash Wednesday. Since this is the beginning of Lent, we are supposed to give up something for Lent (40 days). What will you are giving up for Lent?

Well, I am going to finish my morning routine, and get ready to travel to Lee. I hope when I do eventually visit Linda that the news is good / better.

Have a great Wednesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: