Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

My biorhythm is out of whack today. I am up too early, and I couldn't get back to sleep. When Linda takes an afternoon pain medication, we will both take a power naps.

The wind put a little damper on the 60 degree weather on Friday. There were a lot of baseball hats flying off heads as I was out and about. The weather tease has ended because we are in for stretch of 40 degree weather for the next week or so here in the Berkshires.

I saw a lady raking her yard yesterday, but she was wasting her time thinking that by doing so spring will happen quicker. Mother Nature has her own time frame when we go from winter to spring. I rushed things, like this woman, several years ago, and killed some tender flowers as they were about to emerge from the ground.

My Boston Celtics stunk up the basketball court last evening. They lost by 20 points to the Houston Rockets. One of the Celtic play by play guys, a former Celtic player, used the words "God Dammed" in the heat of the moment. He immediately said he was sorry, but his comments have already hit the sports' airwaves. Oh Darn!

I entered a NCAA basketball pool, but several of my picks never got by the first round of this tournament. Our President was something like 29 and 3 in his selections. I will seek his advice next year.

The Japanese incidents are turning out to be very scary. Many of the residents of the country would like to leave Japan, but a good number can't afford to leave the place.
The nuclear problem in Japan was definitely a wake up call for any country which has nuclear plants. How safe are the ones which we have in the United States?

The Middle East is in turmoil. If you protest your government leaders in some countries, the leaders in power just kill you.
China and North Korea are very good at stopping any sort of unrest.

It appears that there is plenty of work for companies which manufacturer weapons, warships & submarines, military aircraft, bullets, missiles, etc. Can you imagine what we could do with all those military complex dollars if we learned how to get along without killing each other? I know that you Republicans are thinking that we "Liberal Weenies", as my radio talk show host calls me, would just let our guards down, and the barbarians which take over our country like the Romans did as they were trying to conquer the world.

Linda spent a good portion yesterday talking to friends on the telephone. Her friends wanted to see how she was doing? She is making up for the two weeks plus that she lost when she was in the hospital. She had me, the medical staff, and some friends to chat with, but conversation was limited. I am guessing that a few days more in the house, and she will start going stir crazy.

In between telephone calls, she made a dent in previously recorded programs. Our DVR machine was at the 100 % level when she started watching her previously recorded programs.

I should have been a little more attentive to Linda on Friday, and kept her company as she got all caught up, but I went into my "Man Cave" for the first time in over two weeks to watch the Celtics, and NCAA basketball. My philosophy of "Separation is Good" is almost back to normal.

I don't know how mature married couples survive with just one television in the home. We have 8 televisions in our home: There is a television in each of our three bedrooms, a family room television, and the "man cave" has two televisions, one of which is on my bar, a kitchen television, and television in the screened in room on the deck. Do think that the Curley's might be over doing it? Our living room, dinning room and bathrooms are the only rooms which don't have televisions in them.

I was all set to take down some Christmas figurines on our deck on Friday, and put my ice fishing gear back in the storage shed. The wind came up, and procrastination took place. When you are retired, you can do things like this.

Our military son is having a bunch of friends coming over his house for a little corned beef and cabbage dinner at their home in Leavenworth, Kansas this evening. Linda gave our daughter-in-law some helpful hints of how to cook the meat in the crock pot. She is making some Irish Whiskey (my secret recipe) cake for dessert.

Our restaurant owner son is not sleeping in his house this evening. Kyla decided to have a bunch of girlfriends and their children come for a girls, and children weekend. I know that we will be getting some great pictures of this event.

Once people get their fill of Irish Soda Bread, I move onto making Irish Whiskey Cake. Our Third Thursdays start in May in Pittsfield. We will be serving Irish Bangers, Irish Whiskey Cake, and cookies and brownies.


Well, I have some quiet activities to do before the sun comes up. Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: