Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,

My being attentive to Linda didn't work out as I had planned on Saturday. The only meal which I prepared for her was breakfast once again.

The VNA nurse arrived at 9 AM to change her bandage after Linda had taken a quick shower. I say "quick shower" because I answered the telephone call at 8:30 AM, and the nurse said that she would be at the house between 8:45 AM and 9 AM. Linda was fast asleep when she called. Linda was in such a rush to take a shower that I am not sure if the "Press and Seal Saran Wrap" around the wound area worked as well as planned.

Linda did okay on Saturday. She tried to last more hours in between taking the pain medication. She would like to wean herself off of the pain medication, but she is still not able to go through a day without them. Oh Darn!

I just noticed a note on the counter last evening saying "Cold in the Morning". I hope that it isn't true that she will be fighting a cold too during her recovery. I am guessing that I might have brought in the germs. Two of the three Irish friends which I have socializing with have had what seems to be endless colds. I feel great, but now I know what "Typhoid Mary" felt like as she infected people!

You might be wondering what happened to me making Linda lunch and supper. I was doing an out door project of returning ice fishing gear to the storage shed, and getting rid of Christmas decorations on the deck. I also had a heck of time removing the sunflower seed shells from the deck.

I also checked out my grill to see if it made it through the winter okay. Some field mice mad the inside of my grill their home for the winter. I had to remove all the seed dropping before trying to start the grill.
Last spring, I actually fried a field mouse when I started up the grill for the first time. Since this project went slowly, I worked through the lunch hour. Linda ended up making her own lunch.

For the supper time hour, I abandoned Linda and went to an Irish function at St. Mark's Parish Hall. I was at the event a little after 6 PM until 9 PM. Rob Dwyer volunteered his D.J. services for the whole evening which was supposed to go from 7 PM until 11 PM. The party was going on when I decided to go directly home instead of heading off to hear the Irish Band "Rakish Paddy" play at "Brule's".
Liam Geddes and his entourage were at the event, and Liam performed a few of his songs for the packed hall.
His manager told me that Liam did a wonderful job singing at the Tavern at Jiminy Peak Ski Area from 3 to 5 PM. The packed bar of 100 or so people, gave him a standing ovation when he sang "Danny Boy" without any music. Linda made her own supper while I was partying at St. Mark's. Oh Darn!

I forgot to mention that Rob Dwyer was doing his D.J. stuff outside at Jiminy Peak from 1 to 3 PM for the crowds who were there for the ski area's "Spring Fling."

Well our social calendar appears to be totally free today. If Linda wasn't sick, we would have hosted a party for all of our friends at our house today. I am not sure if anything is on our Irish guests' social calendar today.

I know on Monday that Liam has an interview at two colleges in the Boston area. He would like to go to a music school in the Boston area. I believe his second interview at 2 PM is at the Berklee School of Music. The Dean who wants to interview him is from Ireland. I also found out last evening that his music instructor said that he can hit high notes and low notes so well that Liam might want to consider a "Pavarotti" like career in music.

I am really going to take care of Linda today, especially since she is fighting a cold besides the infection.

I have already planned supper. I am going to cook a turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy (which she loved in the hospital), and a vegetable. I might do a little stuffing along with cranberry sauce.

Speaking of food, one of the guests at the St. Patrick's Day house party asked the female host: "Who made the ham salad sandwiches?" This host told the guest that it was The Curley Lad who made the sandwiches. The guest said that the sandwiches, which I made from scratch, were really good. This is another recipe which I am keeping a secret.

How about my comments yesterday about the military complex, and how weapon making, and spending so much money in arms production keeps so many people in the United States working. I couldn't believe that United States, along with the French, started firing Tomahawk Missiles in Libya. Please don't tell me we are going to get started in another war! If the leaders in power in that sovereign nation want to kill their own people, is it our problem? In the United States we killed fellow country men and women during our Civil War during the 1860's. No other country stepped in to help us with our Civil War, and as a Nation we survived.

On a different and happier note, I used my last morsels of sunflower seeds on Saturday for my bird feeders in our back yard. This is good because the bears are emerging from their dens with their cubs. They will be hungry, and foraging for food. These bears always know where they can get an easy meal. Their mother has dined in the Curley back yard before.

When the bird seed is gone, I will take down the bird feeders for a while. I am still going to feed the birds in the summer, but I will take down the bird feeders at night so that the bears and raccoons don't destroy my bird feeders.

Well, I am going to skim the Sunday newspapers until the Visiting Nurse arrives to change the bandage at the same time which she did on Saturday. I am also going to try and serve Linda breakfast, lunch, and dinner unless I get distracted.

Have a great Sunday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: