Monday, March 21, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

Linda made it through another Sunday very well. She was invited by a friend to attend a Fashion Show, but she declined. She wants to avoid getting bad germs from other people. I don't think that I have any bad germs.

A nurse from the VNA will be arriving at 9 AM to change her bandage once again. She might get a new nurse today to do the task. For the past two days, we have had the same nurse.

Linda has a way of getting people to open up very discreetly. She found out that the nurse is from Russia, and has married into a huge local family. She has been married for six years, and she is ready to start a family. Linda will miss chatting with her today.

Yesterday, the Golf Superintendent of Berkshire Hills Country Club sent a letter by way of an e-mail to members telling us that the golf course has officially opened for the season. I have loaded up my car with my golf clubs, and my battery operated golf cart. I don't think that they will be letting out golf carts yet. The superintendent said that he won't let us use the greens yet. The mostly snowy winter that we had here in the Berkshires has protected the golf course very well. It is the constant thawing and freezing during the winter months which destroy the greens and fairways of golf courses in the Northeast.

I didn't go to the golf course on Sunday, but I am in the "Have clubs, will travel" mode right now.

As soon as the Superintendent said the course was open, the weather for upcoming week here in the Berkshires doesn't look too promising for me to be able to get out there. We have a wintry mix forecasted for today. I also saw many temperatures with highs in the middle 30's for the rest of the week. I am not playing golf in 30 degree weather with winter gear on. I wonder if they would let me play in my boots with creepers on them like I wear to go out and get the morning newspaper.

After I dusted off my golf clubs and came into the house, I sat next to Linda on the couch. Her bionic nose smelled bleach. She asked me if I used bleach when I did a load of my clothes. When I said "No", she asked me if I touched any bleach products when I was dusting off my golf gear. I said "No" once again. After a few thoughtful moments, I remembered that there is bleach in the current bandages that the nurses have been putting on Linda. Mystery solved!

I am the only one socially engaged today. I have a UNICO membership meeting at the "Girls Club" on East Street this evening at 6 PM. We are having Chinese food delivered by a restaurant owner who is a friend of our UNICO organization. The food is usually awesome, and in large quantities. Oh Darn!
There goes the old diet!

I did ask Linda if she plans on attending her Tuesday Mah Jongg session which she has missed for weeks. She said that she is going to miss another week of Mah Jongg.

I am guessing that by the end of the week she might be ready to try and socialize with some friends on a limited basis.

Politics -- Members of the President's Party don't agree with his decision to intervene in Libya's Civil War. There is so much turmoil and unrest in that part of the World that I can see us getting into many endless conflicts.
I see where the Palestinians were in some fisticuffs with the Israeli's which has been another endless conflict.
Why can't the nations of the world get together and do humanitarian activities instead of causing bloodshed?
We certainly haven't learned from all the conflicts, wars, walls between nations how to get along peacefully. Will we ever?

As I had said before, since I have been focusing on the illness of a loved one the past couple of weeks, all the craziness in the rest of the world seems so meaningless.

On a different note, I am getting an urge to hug our grandchildren. We haven't seen the two grandkids in Kansas since mid January. We had contact with the one in Tewksbury in mid February.
Luckily the technology of the internet keeps us in what I call a semi contact. The internet pictures are great, but the hugs, playing with them, the chasing them around (for a limited amount of days), etc., are the fun part about having grandchildren.
I am definitely not implying that Linda want to be the Nannies for our grandchildren because we are too old for that to happen. If there was some sort of a sickness, or crisis, etc., we would help out. Linda and I do like it when we take care of the grandchildren so that their parents can have a date night.

Sports -- I might as well throw away my pool sheet for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. My losses are starting to outnumber my wins.

My Boston Celtics did win their game on Sunday in New Orleans.

Oop! I forgot to wish my sister a Happy 60th birthday. I normally wouldn't have given her age, but she has already put it on her Facebook Page.
My father's younger brother, Joseph, has a birthday on this day also.
Linda and I would have hosted a little family gathering to celebrate both birthdays, but my dad has a cold (which Linda wants no part of), and I don't think Linda could manage hosting a coordinated noontime meal.
We will have a summertime cookout to make up for the lack of celebrating both birthdays today.

Besides relaxing, and bonding with Linda, I did help her change the winter decorations throughout the house to spring decorations. Her pain started to kick, and she needed a rest. After recovery from an operation, your mind says get moving, but your body says "not so fast!"

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

P.S. I did have the incorrect Church for the party which I attended on Saturday night. The error was pointed out to me by a couple who will be in charge of the 2012 Irish party at the Sacred Heart Parish Hall.

No comments: