Friday, March 4, 2011

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,

For a second day in a row, Berkshire Medical Center was Linda's caregiver
24/7. I thought that she looked and felt better on Thursday, but she was still having electrolyte issues with certain chemicals in her body like sodium, and magnesium as well as continued discomfort in the incision area. I believe that her temperatures were in the normal range. The doctors were trying to get her blood pressure regulated too. They were still putting fluids including antibiotics into her by way of IV's.

A team of doctors and residents will be probing and poking the incision area at 6 AM, and they will try and find out why the infection is still there. The team marked an X on the incision on Thursday, and they might do a CT scan at some point today. My plan is to go to the hospital around 8 AM, and have Linda give me an update on her situation. I am guessing that she might be discharged today. I wasn't good at guessing that on Thursday. We will see what today brings. I will keep all of you informed.

One of my former female students was in charge of taking care of Linda on the second shift in the hospital. This former student used to drive me crazy when she was in my math class. She is a RN right now, and I heard her talking about going back, and getting a Master's Degree. I just love success stories.

I also met another person who owns a catering business, but he is also what they call a permanent substitute in the Vocational School part of my former High School. I asked him how things are going. He said that he was involved in an incident in the metal fabrication shop. A student was smoking marijuana in a welding booth. The teacher intervened, and took away the illegal substance and paraphernalia, and a scuffle ensued. The substitute had to intervene as the student got the teacher in a choke hold. The student had his arm around the teacher's neck. The student comes to school a couple hours per day, and the rest of the day he is being taught at a place called Juvenile Resource Center. This is a place where students go when they are not so nice, and when they get suspended from school. Supposedly the student turned violent because this student was on a short leash. The teacher has been out of school since the incident. The incident hasn't made the local media yet. I think the bad guy was back in school right after the incident. Do you wonder why Linda and I have no desire to return to the teaching ranks?

Observation -- My Sports Illustrated Issue arrived on Thursday. There was a great article on College Football teams which have several players with criminal records. The Pitt Panthers won top honors with the most not so nice people on their football team. They had a whopping 22 players with criminal records. Four of those 22 players were arrested for alleged violent incidents. I am all for giving people another chance, but to create a team of mostly thugs could have its problems. Wasn't there a movie or two where a prison created a football team made up of its most athletically talented prisoners?

It is a balmy 4 degrees right now, but we should reach the middle 30's today. It does appear that we will be getting a weekend of rain including a wintry mix on Monday.

Well, I have to finish my morning routine, and head off to the hospital. Have a great weekend at work or play. Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: