Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Hope that your Friday was a good start to the weekend.

In a few short hours the nurse from the Visiting Nurse Association will be at our home to change Linda's bandages. To change her bandages sounds like a simple task that any loved one, like a husband, would do, but it is a lot more complicated than you could imagine.
I had composed a description of what the nurse has to do each day, but Linda gave me strict orders not to put my eloquent description on the internet air waves.
I would have to have put one of those disclaimers warning for people that they might want to avoid reading my very descriptive process of what takes place.

I usually skim the CNN news on my I Pad each day before I compose my e-mail.
We sure have a messed up world that we live in. From a shooting at a middle school, to our NATO allies shooting missiles in Libya, to Nuclear meltdown in Japan, the sentencing of a machete killer, to the capture of a cop killer, the thwarting an attack by the Somali Pirates, Middle East unrest, suicide bombers, etc., and then we have Lindsay Lohan thinking that she can turn her messed up life around by changing her last name.

I have an adult friend, who doesn't watch, listen, or read about any of the above described events, and I think that she is better off by doing so.

As I always have said that if everyone focused on their own family, and surrounds themselves with close friends, and has a job during those prime years of their life, our world wouldn't have so many unhappy people. If we had leaders that focused on their constituents (and not on greed), wouldn't the world be a better place to live in?

There was a positive article in the CNN blog today, but you didn't have to tell the Curley Lad that "Laughter is the best medicine" for a happy life.

Observation -- I can kind find humor anywhere and everywhere. I will give you an example.
While our UNICO crew was working in the kitchen for the Brien Center Fundraiser the other day, there was a crew of special needs people who the ITAM hires to clean the Lodge, and set up tables for weddings, meetings, fundraisers, etc. There were 15 of us in the kitchen at the time doing various tasks. One of the special needs people goes into the kitchen to see what we were doing. Of the 15 people in the kitchen, who do you think the special needs person goes directly to, and strikes up a conversation with, and tells me to watch out because I had knife in my hand? Other people had knives in their hand too cutting up vegetables, chicken, etc., but maybe this person was psychic, and he knew that I cut a finger a few years ago at a similar fundraiser and I had to be stitched up at the emergency room.
I am magnet for total strangers every where I go. I can be sitting on a bench in the Mall waiting for Linda to finish shopping, minding my own business, and people will start talking to me.
I had one of those conversations when Linda was having blood drawn a month ago at the Medical Arts Complex. The guy started telling me about all of his illnesses, and why he was waiting for his ill wife, and that his car broke down on the way to the Medical Arts Complex, etc. He told me what he did for a living (Auto mechanic), and how he had a side job which paid him under the table in New Hampshire. Of course, I know every one of his body parts that wasn't working so good.
I must project this warm, fuzzy, and non threatening feeling to total strangers!

Social Calendar -- Linda will be housebound once again. The chances of her sitting in a lounge chair on the deck in the back of the house with a high of 32 degrees, and 10 to 20 mile per hour winds won't get her outside. It was cold yesterday in the Berkshires and it will be even colder today. March is definitely going out like a Lion. All our friends who are spending the winter in warmer regions of the country shouldn't even think about returning to the Berkshires until we start getting warmer temperatures.
I will be giving Linda my undivided attention today even though I feel guilty not helping out with a Catholic School Pasta Fundraiser especially since one of the organizers is a fellow UNICAN. I am still hurting from the long day that I had on Thursday, and we have two more UNICO events next week before March comes to an end.

I will be leaving the house today after the VNA Nurse does her bandage changing, and after I make Linda breakfast.
My first stop will be to go to Staples, and get my new Allergen Awareness Certificate laminated, and some new printer cartridges. Our printer gets a workout because I/We belong to so many organizations. Using the printer for personal uses is minimal.

When I finish this email, I am going to start soaking some raisins in some whiskey once again. I promised an Italian friend that I would make him a loaf of my Irish Soda Bread. Oops, I forgot that I promised another friend that I would give her a loaf of my Irish Soda Bread too, but I forgot to do so.
My Irish Soda Bread freezes so well if wrapped properly. I went into the freezer in the garage the other day for some frozen vegetables, and I found a loaf of Irish Soda Bread tucked in the back of the freezer. I know that it has been in there for months. When I opened it up, you couldn't tell that it was months old. The wrapping technique is another Curley secret (mostly Linda's).

Have a great Saturday.
You know that I will be bonding with the Queen!
Talk to you soon!

P.S. I tried to remove some people from my daily blog, but they told me to keep them on the list.
If you don't want to read about Curley world, just let me know.
Linda is worried that I might offend someone or some group on my daily blog because I have gotten myself in trouble before (many times).
Linda doesn't like that our lives are like an open book, but I told her that she unknowingly provides me with some of my best thoughts and material.
I don't mind laughing at myself, but she really doesn't want me to involve her.
A couple of years ago, I tried to have my own column in the local newspaper aimed at the Baby Boomer age group, and beyond, but I was rejected.
I do have some friends who like it when I stir up some issues, and get people going back and forth with their opinions which are often opposite the views of a Liberal Democrat.

No comments: