Friday, March 11, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

Today is day nine of the "Hernia from Hell" ordeal. Linda is improving, but not well enough for her to be discharged. They are still monitoring one situation in which another small abscess could be forming. She is very good spirits, but I could tell she is semi depressed. They are still giving her high doses of antibiotics intravenously. She still requires pain medication intravenously, and orally. Her incision is painful to the touch. The bandages have to be changed at least 4 or 5 times per day.

We pretty much know every doctor, nurse, nursing assistant, patient advocate personnel, custodial staff, who works on this floor. There is only one other patient in this wing whom has been there as long as Linda. The whole staff likes Linda, and they don't hesitate when she pushes the call button which isn't that often. Since the staff knows me from when my mother was in this wing as a patient, and when I was in this wing as a patient, we are developing a new set of friends.

When some friends took me out for supper the other day at a local restaurant, and saw me interacting with people who they didn't know, they suggested that I should run for some kind of political office.

I made a couple of my Irish Soda Breads, and gave them to the staff so that they could share the epicurean delights in their break room. As I was leaving the hospital for my Polenta Dinner at the ITAM, I did get some compliments from the staff.

Speaking of the Polenta Dinner, there was a light turnout at the ITAM, but the Polenta Dinner was wonderful. There were only five us at our table, Pat and Marie Gormalley, and my second wife Marge Cole, and my third wife Patricia Barscz. My second and third wives of course are just close friends because no one can replace Queen Linda.

One of Linda's book club members was at the Polenta Dinner. She thought Linda was home recovering from the simple surgery.

Linda should get my undivided attention today.

There is a Civitan Soup Fest fundraiser at Berkshire Hills Country Club this evening at 6 PM. I know that several of my Irish Friends will be attending the event, but I am not sure if I am going to go. For three consecutive days this week, I left Linda and went off and partied at several events which she would normally be attending with me.

I will be representing the Curley's at social engagements on Saturday and Sunday. Can you easily see why Linda is semi depressed? While I am out having a fun time, she is being poked and prodded, shot up with antibiotics and pain medication, while dinning on hospital food. Actually, she thinks that the hospital food has been good. What she really likes about the food is that someone else is preparing the food, and waiting on her.

News -- To have to deal with an earth quake and Tsunami like they are doing in Japan doesn't seem like a lot of fun. We have a little rain and wind in the Berkshires, but our houses still remain in tact. Hawaii has a Tsunami warning too.

Like I said in a previous e-mail, all news on the national and local level seemed so irrelevant when you have a relative dealing with health issues.

Observation -- Linda was without a roommate when I left the hospital for the Polenta Dinner. Her latest roommate was kind of a weird duck. Linda told me not to say anything about some of her antics. I will tell you that she was dressed when I visited Linda on Thursday afternoon. I thought that she was waiting for an aide to take her to the front doors of the hospital. All of a sudden, she got up from the chair next to her bed, and left the hospital on her own.

Well, I am up so early that I might whip up a couple of Irish Soda Breads.
I have to make four for sure for the Sunday 40 Shades of Green Art Show at the Lichtenstein Center in Pittsfield.

I would like to be at the hospital by 8 AM if all goes as planned. I have my two Italian Friends, and an Irish friend to visit besides Linda. Is there such a job as a professional hospital visitor like those Walmart greeters? I could make total strangers feel happy!

Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: