Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hello on Father's Day

Dear Friends,

I hope that you all had a pleasant day on Saturday. It was one of those picture perfect days in the Berkshires. The only thing that we did yesterday was to attend a high school graduation party a few miles from our home in the town of Dalton. The family running the event had everything well organized. It might have been due to the fact that the mother of the graduate is a science teacher at the secondary level. She and her husband took care of every detail along with her Mom and Dad who came up from Florida. They have a swimming pool so that the high school age friends of the graduate, and parents with children were in the pool most of the time. We senior aged people were on an upper level of the property (under a tent) far enough away from the pool so that we couldn't here the normal pool noise. There was much food, fun, and merriment. Linda and I arrived at 3 PM and stayed until just after 7 PM.

Happy Father's Day to all my email recipients who have fathers still with us, or who are father's to children. My sister and I are fortunate to have our dad with us. When you are 87 years old and still driving a car, the aches and pains which dear old dad has are minor in the scheme of things. Since our deck is still in a state of turmoil, there will be no Father's Day picnic on our deck today. Linda and I are going to take Dad out to breakfast this morning in his home town. My sister has a house full of people and she will be dealing with her family and her husband's dad. She said that she might invite our father for an afternoon burger or hot dog. My sister deals with my dad on an almost daily basis so my father is well aware that we appreciate all that he has done for us over the years.

I was watching the news on television yesterday morning. I couldn't believe the people who stand in line for hours, get in scuffles, just to be able to get in to the court house to witness the trial of the Florida women accused of killing her child. These people must have no life! I can't even watch or think about a mother who kills her child. From my perspective, this was a single Mom, who wanted to party and have fun with other people her age. The child just happened to get in her way of the life style that the mother desired. The solution was to kill the child instead of giving up the child for adoption. I will be amazed if this mother is found not guilty by the jury.

Speaking of not guilty, I read that Oprah Winfrey wants O.J. Simpson to confess, on her new network, that he did in fact kill those people in that famous trial where he "beat the rap." The only time that I would do such a thing is if I was on my deathbed!

My Sox lost their game last evening while the Yankees won their game. The Red Sox and Brewers do battle again today.

I did watch a good portion of the Boston Bruins Parade on television on Saturday. I recorded it for a friend. A bunch of friends of our Tewksbury son were on the Parade route as about 2 million people witnessed the event in downtown Boston.

How about the kiss in Vancouver that has gone viral? A girl and her boyfriend were in Vancouver as the riot took place after the Bruins won the Stanley Cup on Wednesday night. The girl gets knocked over, and ends up on the ground. He boyfriend comes to her aide while she is on the ground, and plants a kiss on her cheek to comfort her as she was going hysterical. The picture is now all over the internet, and this couple has now become famous. You never know when you will get a moment of fame!

I do want to wish our two sons a Happy Father's Day. They are our sons, but they are fathers to our super grandchildren. One of these days, wouldn't it be nice to have both boys and their families for a Father's Day picnic on the Curley deck? As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care if this gathering took place in Tewksbury or Valdosta, Georgia.

I made the comment at the graduation party to the grandfather of the graduate that it was so nice that the hosts as well as he and his wife have such a wonderful group of family and friends who came out for the party. He tells me that he has a brother that hasn't spoken to him in 15 years. When I hear such things as estranged family members, I always feel so sad. What is it with people? Haven't they caught on to the fact that "Life is too short" to harbor such ill will?

Well, I have to skim the Boston Globe and The Berkshire Eagle. We are picking up my father at 9:30 AM at his home. Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: