Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Our Wednesday went as planned, but Linda was one tired buckaroo when her day ended after her book club meeting at a friend's home near 10 PM. When she finally sat down and watched the end of the Bruin's Game with me, she grabbed our calendar and tried to find a day or two with nothing on it. Also, she was looking for a day or so that I wouldn't be around to bug her. After studying the calendar, she realized that there were no such days on our calendar. The only time that Linda will get one of these days is when she is off to the Cape with her girlfriends at the end of June. I will miss her so!

Speaking of the Bruins, even if you are not a hockey fan or a sports' fan, it was another great day for a New England Sports' Team. It has been 42 years since the Bruins have won the Stanley Cup. They went into hostile territory and did the job by winning by a 4 to 0 margin. The rioting in Vancouver after the game was an ugly sight. The Police in Boston had the situation under control. One of Kevin's last customers was a local policeman who was eating one of Kevin's great sandwiches. After he ate, he put on a flack vest, and headed out to assist other policeman involved in crowd control. Alcohol fueled fans were a problem whether they were in Vancouver or Boston. The fans in Vancouver were totally out of control, and they were truly an embarrassment to the people of Canada.

The Red Sox won their game in Tampa while the Bruins were winning their game. The Yankees won their game. The Red Sox are still holding onto a slim one game lead in their division.

Politics -- I see where another Republican might enter the Presidential Race. There are so many candidates right now that I would be confused if I was a registered Republican. Some candidates couldn't win a "tree house club" election.
The rest of the world is in its normal state of unrest and turmoil. President Obama is seriously working on our sick economy, but we haven't seen much result so far.
I see that we have another bad guy to go after who has replaced Osama Bin Laden.

Social Calendar -- I have some errands to do, and then I have to load up my car with all the gear that I need for Third Thursday. I am not the only one who brings stuff, but I have the biggest car load of gear. I will be leaving the house and meeting some Irish Sister City friends who will be setting up two canopies, electric grill, my small gas grill. It sounds simple, just grilling some food, but we have to have permits from the Health department, certified Serv Safe Food Person (me), Fire department, Raffle permits, Vendor permits, Allergen Awareness permits. The four poles of each canopy must have weights to hold down each canopy down. We have to have fire extinguishers too. As you can see, this is not like having a cookout on your deck. We also have a local musician playing next to our booth.
The streets of downtown Pittsfield will be closed off to traffic at 4:30 PM until 8:30 PM. The weather is supposed to be almost picture perfect so we are hoping for a big crowd. We want to sell a lot of Irish Bangers, Irish Whiskey Cake, and two packs of homemade cookies. A bunch of us Irish Sister City Members will be heading off to Patrick's Pub after the Third Thursday is over. There will be much fun and merriment before this day is over.

My son called last night after the game, and we talked sports for a while. He has been not going to work in the morning like he usually does. He has been working the late afternoon / night shift. During the day he has been doing yard work. If you saw how many forms of flowering plants and vegetation on their land, you might get tempted to hire some one to take care of things. Right now, Kevin enjoys the work, but he is 34 years old and not 64 years old like his dear old dad. Max and his Florida grandmother have been bonding quite nicely while Kyla has been in California on a work related trip. This Grandmother has been experiencing what it is like for a baby boomer trying to entertain and keep up with the energizer bunny. When Max finally goes off to bed at night, Grandma has been not far behind Max.

Observation -- Do little things tend to drive you crazy? The other day Linda and I went off to the grocery store. Since she was after one item, I chose to stay in the car. While she was in the store, I moved the car one space forward so that I wouldn't have to back out of the parking place. When Linda got out of the store, she couldn't find the car. I thought that a one car length move would be no big deal, but it was to her! Another thing that I did the other day while she was doing one of those one stop shopping things at a store happened to get her fired up too. There were some bird droppings on the passenger side window where the lower part of the window meets the door. While she was in the store alone, I decided to roll down the windows to get some fresh air. When she got back to the car, I rolled up the window. Well, you can visualize what happened! When I rolled up the window, there was a three inch wide streak of bird droppings that Linda had to look at until we got home from our adventure. I guess that I better keep a roll of paper towels, and some Windex in the car at all times. These two incidents are some of the reasons why Linda prefers to shop alone or with girlfriends. I don't seem to have soothing affect on her. My "Separation is Good" principle, which I live by, is employed quite often in the Curley household.

Well, I have to finish my morning routine, and get to my errands. Linda has a body maintenance procedure. She will be at the Third Thursday too, but not at 3:30 PM. Have a great Thursday! Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

No comments: