Monday, June 27, 2011

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in my world. I accomplished a few tasks, and headed off to a picnic where I was the only guest. I arrived at the picnic 2:30 PM. There was much food, fun, and merriment before I decided to return home at 7:30 PM.
Was Linda having more fun on Cape Cod? Not! As I was having my first beverage on our friend's deck, she called to find out how things were going. She and her girlfriends were huddled together on the beach with blankets, and wearing hoodies hoping that the sun would come out. I knew that the ladies on Cape Cod were in trouble when I watched the Boston News Channel on Sunday morning and the weatherman said that there was a dense fog on the Cape with 1/4 mile visibility. I told her that my fiends and I were wearing shorts and tee shirts. Even though the sun was semi in and out in the Berkshires, we were enjoying mild and comfortable temperatures. Earlier in the week, I had suggested that her and her girlfriend, who drove them to the Cape, leave early, and she could have joined me at the picnic. So let me summarize how things have been going for Linda since February. She had the "Hernia from Hell" which went on for several months. She / we then moved on to the "Deck from Hell" which is pretty much done, but she wasn't home to enjoy it this weekend. Now she has the Cape Cod adventure where her and her girlfriends have seen a minimal amount of sun for whole week. Their highlight of the day is cocktail hour and dinning out for supper. Of course, they all did a little recreational shopping, but one of their goals was to get the start of a nice summer tan. There are only four women left on Cape Cod as of this moment. The plan for them is to check out, and go the beach, and get as much sun as they can get today. When they have had enough sun, they will then head home and do some recreational shopping as they exit the Cape. I don't expect to see her until after 10 PM.

The food at the picnic which I attended was superb. The healthy part of the meal was a vegetable dip. There was another hot appetizer, and a fresh salsa dip. The main meat for the meal was those thick pork chops from Guido's, and some chicken legs. My friend is really big on flavored type of au jus gravies which the meat is cooked in and eventually dribbled over the meat. There was a potato and bean salad with a vinaigrette dressing. There was also a pasta salad. Yes there was dessert, and it too was wonderful. It was a fresh berry concoction over some pecan ice cream. Another nice thing about the one guest picnic is that there were no arguments, and you could direct conversation totally with and to the hosts.
As I left the picnic, I thanked the hosts profusely. The hostess thanked me for the multitude of the stories which I told during the picnic. Did I have a good time? You bet I did!

As I mentioned before, when Linda comes home she is back to her busy schedule. Her next totally free day appears to be July 9, 2011. She might want to stay at the Cape.

World News -- I read that one of those suicide bombers blew himself up at a medical clinic which was helping his own people. Some people who died in the blast were pregnant women. How sick are these crazy people? I am to the point now where we should pull out our troops at every base outside of the United States, and let each nation try and solve their own problems. If they want our help, they must pay for it. We also have to stop sending money to these countries because the monies never seem to go to the right places. If these countries want to treat their people like crap, so be it. It is time for the United States to stop being policemen of the world. Yes, we do have to monitor these countries which appear to be in upheaval. We also can't shove Democracy down their throats. Revolution has to come from people within that country. We should not be involved with civil wars in these foreign countries.

Politics -- I was thinking of the Bachman woman who wants to represent the Republican Party / Tea Party in a run for the Presidency. I think the fact that she was a "Good Witch" at a time in her life will come back to bite her. When a person decides to run for political office, he or she better not have anything negative that a reporter could dig up in their background. Newt Gingrich would be a great candidate for the conservatives in our country. His multiple marriages, his going out with someone while wife number one was dying will be his downfall. A person's religion usually doesn't have an impact on a person who runs for political office, but being a Mormon (Romney) who supported universal health care in Massachusetts might be a liability.

Sports -- The Red Sox broke their losing streak. The Yankees keep on winning. Oh Darn!

Social Calendar -- I have to do a little more house cleaning. I might give the lawn a trim with the rear bagger attached. I have been tracking in grass in the house ever since I cut the lawn the other day. Using the rear bagger will put an end to that. I also have to do a project for my dad either today or tomorrow.

We will have a full day of sunshine today in the Berkshires, and I am going to enjoy it. I still have to squeeze in an afternoon nap too. I want to be awake when Linda comes home from her Cape Cod adventure.

I was chatting with my father the other day, and I told him about the radio program that my blogger friend has each day Monday through Friday from 10 AM until 1 PM. Instead of having guests on his talk show, one day last week they did a little reminiscing of all the places like grocery stores on every corner in each neighborhood, taverns which no longer exit, businesses which were around when us baby boomer were growing up which no longer exist, etc. My father may forget where he put his cell phone, but he remembers all the people and places when and where he grew up. He could tell you about the woolen mills that he worked in which no longer exist. He could tell you stories about his growing up in a Wahconah Street neighborhood, being an Altar Boy at St. Charles, and attending St. Charles Elementary School. He worked in grocery stores which used to be on North Street which no longer exit. He worked at Harry Nichols Supermarket which has been around since the 1930's. He ended his working career in the Paper Mills in Lee which nor longer exist. If you think that I am never at a loss for words, then you haven't talked to my father. I learned from the Master! My 87 year old dad might be a good guest to have on my friend's radio program.

Have a great day at work or play.
It is hard to imagine that the Fourth of July weekend is already here. Linda and I will be busy beyond belief. Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: