Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

I completed my tasks that I set out to do on Tuesday. I was finally able to get one car back into the garage, and it happened to be my Subaru. Linda's Cape Cod roommate picked her up around noontime. She apologized profusely for being a couple hours late, but it wasn't a big deal for Linda.

On the ride to the Massachusetts Turnpike, they went by Eastover, and through Lenoxdale since Route 7 and 20 had construction going on which turned a two lane road into a single lane. Well the ladies almost didn't make the 12 mile trip from Pittsfield to the Mass Pike. As they came over the bridge in Lenoxdale, a huge black bear crossed the road right in front of their vehicle. They came within inches of striking the bear. The bear traveled from left to right in front of their vehicle as it headed towards the Housatonic River. I told Linda that the bear was possibly going for a swim, or he wanted to do a little fishing in the river. The bear was so huge that if they had hit the creature head on, the car would have suffered severe damage. Linda's girlfriend was driving the car.

After doing my garage work, I did take a wonderful afternoon nap. I then took a quick shower and I headed off to the Italian American Club to see if they needed any help in the kitchen. A group of us Unicans, stuffed 120 finger sandwiches (ham, seafood, tuna, and egg salad), made a fruit tray, and a tray of cheese, crackers, pepperoni, along with some olives, and pickles, and potato chips, and dessert. There were about 80 guests in attendance. When the Scholarship program ended, there were almost no leftovers. I did manage to take home a few finger sandwiches which will become my lunch today.

I was also asked to help out with the Annual Wing Fling this Saturday evening at Berkshire Community College. We Unicans will be helping with the serving and clean up for the event. Do you think that I might take a few wings home? Not! Last year they ran out of every single wing. Any guests who came after the starting time never got to eat any wings. These wings come from multiple restaurants in Berkshire County. These restaurants are vying to have their wings voted "Best Wings" in the County. The competition will be fierce.

Social Calendar -- I am supposed to play golf at 9:12 AM this morning. The foursome is all set. We have some rain heading our way, and as you know, I don't do golf in the rain. The heavier rain will be arriving later on today. I assume that Linda and her girlfriend are having fun at Cape Cod. The rain is supposed to reach them eventually. 16 women with no sunshine could be a problem. When you are on Cape Cod, and you can't get any sun, what do you think that the women might do? You all know the answer --> Shopping! Of course, they could catch a few "Chick Flicks" at the Cape Cod Mall.

Sports -- My Red Sox lost their game last night, and the Yankees' game got postponed.

Observation -- I was talking to some friends about how nice the June Third Thursday went since the police confiscated bikes, and wrote out tickets for the children who were riding their bikes. My friends brought up another issue which might require me to write another "Letter to the Editor" in our local newspaper. Since I was preparing Irish Bangers, and not walking around the closed down street, I missed seeing the people with their dogs. Some of these friends said the number of dogs everywhere caused a real problem. Even though the owners had their dogs on leashes, you know not all dogs remain calm when they see another dog. These people said that the dogs should not be part of the Third Thursday unless the dog is a "Seeing Eye" dog. Our friends said that dodging dogs and their leashes made for an uncomfortable situation. Leave you dogs home even though they might be cute, and even if you want to show off your cute dog.

Poltics -- I was thinking about the state of the two party system which I believe does work, but needs to be tweaked as we encounter various problems in the United States. From my perspective, we have:

1. Democrats

2. Republicans

3. Tea Party (Wannabe more conservative Republicans)

4. Independents (Fence sitters who claim to be progressive thinkers who will vote for the best candidate (in their mind) who can do the job.

When it is all said and done, we will be voting for a Democrat or a Republican to represent us in Congress or for President of the United States. Money is the key to keeping the two party system working no matter how angry the average voter is about a particular issue. If you are an arms manufacturer, you want conflicts and wars to be never ending. If you are big oil, "drill baby drill"! If you are a company in the health industry, the politician who keeps their profits high will get their money. If you belong to a Union, the politician who keeps the workers' bargaining rights will vote for that candidate. The list of examples is endless, but we will all be voting for a Democrat or a Republican.

Well, today will be the first full day without Linda around. I am already thinking about a whole bunch of tasks for her, but she won't be around to do any of them. What is great is that I don't have to be quiet. I can open the garage door which is next to the Master Bedroom when I want. I can do a load of clothes and dry them any time day or night. I can cook a chicken novena and don't have to light a candle. I am in heaven right now! After a couple days, I might get a little lonely, but for right now "Life is Good!"

Have a great Wednesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: