Friday, June 10, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned. The Red Sox won their game even thought it started at 10:30 PM due to rain in the Bronx. I was in bed, but had the radio on in sleep mode. I would fall asleep, wake up, turn the radio on and try and catch the score. The Sox were behind 2 to 0 until the 7th inning, and that is when their bats came alive. The Bombers got bombed for a third straight night. All my Yankee fans are in a state of mourning. In past years they would always say to us Red Sox fans that "It is still early in the season." The Yankee fans realize that their team is in turmoil. If the Red Sox can stay relatively healthy for the rest of the year, they should make it to the playoffs, but I am not sure about the Yankees!

Our Thursday went as planned. Linda had breakfast with her Red Hat group while was getting a follow up ultra sound which went quickly and well.

Linda did some recreational shopping for more plants. Do we really need more? I am not sure to the answer of that question. You will see what I mean if you do come to our house.

I played nine holes of golf with one of my two golfing buddies. Another guy who we never saw before joined us for our 9 hole adventure. This member lives in Framingham, but he has a second home in the Berkshires. He has two children about the same as Linda and me. He does real estate stuff in Boston.
During the round, I told him that one of our two sons owns a sandwich /pizza place in East Boston. He said he and his son have eaten some of Kevin's great sandwiches at Dough several times. He said that Kevin makes some of the best sandwiches in Boston. As we said goodbye, he told me to tell Kevin to keep on making those great sandwiches. He wished that Kevin had a place in downtown Boston.

Observation - My golfing buddy's wife is retiring at the end of June. She decided to take yesterday off. Well, my friend got a preview of coming attractions of what it is like to be together 24 / 7 for the rest of your life. My friend has been retired for a couple of years while his wife went off to work each day. As soon as the wife wakes up yesterday, she starts making a list for my friend. As she is rattling off the list, my buddy says: "Whoa" to his wife. He tells her that: "This is supposed to be retirement", and not worktirement (another Curleyism)! I had to tell my friend about the Curleyism that "Separation is Good!" My friend put his clubs in his car, and headed off to the golf course to play golf a round of golf with me. This guy's wife does not have a not of hobbies, but she does have 8 grandchildren. Oh Darn!

Another friend who has retired along with his wife during the past year is experiencing some of the same trials and tribulations that the friend mentioned above is going through. Retirement sounds great, but you really have to think about and plan what you are going to do during this period of time in your life. Having a "Man Cave" in your house, if the male is going to survive, is a top priority.

Social Calendar -- I have golf with my senior buddies at 8:30 AM. Linda should be free until we go out this evening for the UNICO Installation at Cranwell Resport and Spa. The cocktail hour starts at 6 PM with a varied assortment of hot and cold appetizers (Italian meats, lamp chops, jumbo shrimp, etc.). The Main meal doesn't start until 8 PM because the appetizers are so good that most of us are stuffed after eating the gourmet appetizers. The main meal is wonderful too along with the Red and White wine served at each table. This is 25,000 (the number is correct) calorie meal. I am going to starve myself all day today.

Speaking of food, a friend came over for a Chicken Novena last night. Because of the rain, I couldn't grill the chicken. I prepared boneless chicken breasts, and bone in chicken breasts, baked potatoes, corn. We were all set to watch the Red Sox game at 7 PM, but as I mentioned above there was a rain delay.

Our wives had fun at their book club / dinner meeting. Linda will be hosting the one in August. We will be serving grilled fish and grilled vegetables which I will prepare for them.
Linda will whip up one of her dessert specialties.

Weather - Some rain rolled in during the early evening on Thursday. The humidity has left us. It will be a pleasant day on the golf course for sure. I will take a nap after golf, and then get dressed for the Installation. As you see in Curley world, "Life is good!"

Have a great Friday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: