Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

Tuesday started of to be a good day for me, but there was a major bump along the way. I left the house first which is typical. I played a quick nine holes of golf. My Achilles tendon was really bothering me as I tried to swat the ball. I called the orthopedic doctors while on the course, and they squeezed me in for a 2:45 PM appointment. I knew that there wasn't much of a chance that I was going to see my particular doctor so I told the receptionist that I would be fine being seen by Physician's Assistant. He said that I did not have a ruptured Achilles Tendon, but it was strained. The solution was to wear a boot for 4 to 6 weeks, but I could try and wean myself off of the boot as the strained Achilles pain dissipates. He also said that I have to go a Physical Therapist for several sessions which should speed up recovery.
Now you would think that this boot wearing is no big deal until you remember that the Curley's have a full social calendar for almost every day of the week. I will give you an example: Our toddler grandchild from Tewksbury arrives in Pittsfield on Thursday morning with the two family dogs. Thursday night, Linda is hosting BONCO for 12 women while I take care of Max, and the two dogs. Can you visualize me walking up and downstairs to the bedrooms and up and down stairs to my man cave with a boot on? Saturday morning is a UNICO Pancake Breakfast at the Senior Center in downtown Pittsfield. Sunday we are going with a group of people to the James Taylor Concert at Tanglewood. I am the person who usually hauls in the Curley chairs, food, tables, etc. Walking from the parking area to the main gate is going to be a challenge. On July 4, I was supposed to March in the Parade with my UNICO Brothers and Sisters. I have that covered because there are vehicles that I will be able to ride on. Next week, we have a picnic at an Irish Sister City friend's home and the next day is a Picnic in the Park at Wahconah Park to dine and watch our local Canadian League Baseball team.

I really try and not bring too much stress in Linda's life, but stuff happens. She is a crazed person at the current time as she sees me hobble around in the boot, and when she starts thinking how busy we will be for the next week or so. Oops, I just remembered that we are attending a wedding in Okemo, Vermont during mid July, and we have another Third Thursday that I have figured out how I will deal with.

When I left the Orthopedic place, I tried driving home with the boot on. This was a big mistake. Trying to hit the gas and the brake pedal not at the same time was a challenge and it caused some heart palpitations. I will take the boot off to drive, and then put the boot on when I get to my destination.

I also didn't go straight home from my appointment. I stopped at my friend's home. These are our friend's where the wife broke her ankle in two places over the Memorial Day weekend when she stepped off of their deck in to a hole that their dog had made. We had dueling boots on their deck. She also gave me some helpful hints about wearing the boot. I had played golf with the husband in the morning so he knew that I made the Orthopedics' appointment on the golf course, and he also knew that my Achilles was really killing me while I attempted to play golf.
They invited me for supper and some beverages. Linda couldn't join me / us because she was out to dinner celebrating a girlfriend's 60th birthday.

Speaking of Golf, I won't be able to play golf for a while. Linda won't have hours of alone time when I am a usually playing golf. Oh Darn! More stress for Linda! She did have some thoughts of trading me in for a newer and healthier model.

Social Calendar -- Today I am going to help Linda prepare for her BONCO session on Thursday night, and for the morning arrival of our grandson and the dogs. I have to go to the nursing home at 2 PM for a normal family meeting / review about my mother. I am going to hobble off and choose a kids' swimming pool. Should I use one of those motorized carts at Walmart to get around the store, or should I just let Linda go to the store alone and have her make the selection?

News -- I see where the wacko terrorists are now sending in suicide bombers into hotels like the one in Kabul. We in the United States are now on alert because the same thing could happen in the United States. Since the average person in the United States can only afford places like "Motel 6", there isn't much of a chance of terrorists striking these lower priced motels?
Syria is in a political mess. Lybia's status isn't much better. Our President is going to make another Presidential address. Most citizens in the United States want us out of the Middle East conflicts!

Sports - My Red Sox lost to another National League Team last night. The Red Sox have turned into an average team as the Yankees keep rolling along. Is it too early to worry about the Red Sox making it to the playoffs or not?

Well, the pitter patter of the rain woke me up, and I couldn't go back to sleep. Once I woke up, I started thinking about all the stress that I caused in Linda's mind.
Both of us will survive this little bump in the road if I end up being a quick healer.
I might go back to bed right after sending this e-mail to see if I can pick up those lost hours.

Have a great Wednesday!
Talk to you soon. The Hobbling Curley Lad

No comments: