Monday, June 20, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

Hope that all of you had a wonderful Father's Day in whatever form which you celebrated it. Linda and I had fun with my father during a leisurely breakfast at the Friendly's Restaurant in Lee. I was relatively hungry so I ordered the "Lumber Jack" breakfast. The breakfast included three eggs, three pieces of bacon, and three pancakes. I assumed that the pancakes were going to be the medallion size. Well, they turned out to be the Lumber Jack size. After breakfast, I felt the need to cut a cord of wood! My father was in very good spirits, and we all enjoyed the time that we spent together. My sister and her husband came to visit with dad in Lee during the afternoon. She was thinking about cooking him supper, but all of us were so full after breakfast that food was the last thing on our mind.

Linda and went home, and I squeezed in a nap before we went off to an unplanned event. The daughter of our West Stockbridge friend's received a Sons of Italy Scholarship at the ITAM Lodge. We decided that it was important for us to attend the event.

We went our separate ways after the Scholarship Awards'. The West Stockbridge friends had made reservations for Mario's Restaurant for 5:30 PM, but Linda and I were still full from the morning breakfast with my father. Linda and I just relaxed for the rest of the afternoon and evening. I watched the last few inning of the Red Sox game, and switched over to professional golf. We ended the evening watching previously recorded programs.

The Red Sox recovered from their loss the night before and spanked the Brewers, and sent them packing.

The 22 year old from Northern Ireland, Mcllroy, looked like Tiger Woods when he was younger in the professional golf tournament that he won on Sunday. To lead all four rounds of a tournament, and have the winning score has only been done by a handful of golfers. A new generation of twenty year olds has taken over the world of professional golf, but can they get the viewing audience that Tiger Woods commanded? Have we seen the last of Tiger Woods? Another thing to note is that the list of the top 10 golfers in the world doesn't include that many Americans. Oh Darn!

I went to bed and caught the last few minutes of the Miss USA contest before the news came on. You may make fun of me because I watch a good deal of sporting contests, but this contest is a total waste of a person's time.

Each of our sons celebrated Father's Day in a different form, but we did communicate with each other. Kevin, Kyla, and Max went to Danbury, Connecticut to bond with Kyla's Mom, Kyla's Uncle and their family. They arrived home in Tewksbury during the mid afternoon.
Our Lt. Colonel son and his family had the movers finishing up packing their rented house in Leavenworth, Kansas. They were just about set to make the 18 hour drive to their new residence in Valdosta, Georgia. Driving with a 1 year old and a 3 year old would be quite a challenge in itself. There was no way that our son Michael could even think about celebrating this Father's Day.

I am not playing golf today! I have to clean the second half of a garage which is full of deck furniture. If things go as planned, the final coat of deck stain for the flat part of our two level deck should take place today or tomorrow at the latest. When Linda arrives home from her Cape Cod girls adventure, she will be coming home to a finished deck. We will finally be able to park both cars in our garage too.

While I am doing my thing today, Linda will be finishing up her packing for her Cape Cod trip. Linda and a girlfriend depart at some point on Tuesday. They will have some alone time on Cape Cod until the 14 other women arrive toward the end of the week. Linda is looking forward to having absolutely nothing on her social calendar. She is really looking forward to me not thinking or creating things for her to do. She will be employing the "Separation is Good" principal for 6 straight days. I will miss her so. Yeah right! Her only request from me is that she wants to come home to a house that is cleaned to perfection. A few days after she comes home from Cape Cod, she will be hosting BONCO. She wants the 11 other women to see a house that looks like it has been professionally cleaned. I did warn her that clean from a male perspective is not the same as clean from a female perspective.

CNN News -- I skimmed the news, and not too much jumped out at me. It was the "some old same old" stuff. I did see that the original owner of the "Hustler" Magazine wants the disgraced Weiner to come and work for his company. This got me thinking about what does a person do that has made an error in judgment like Weiner did as he searches for another job? What kind of job would he be suited for? He would probably keep his suit on a little more often than he has done in the past?

The school year in Pittsfield ends tomorrow. It will not be soon enough for the teachers whom we know. The parents will now have a challenge to provide activities for their children for the rest of the summer. For working Moms and Dads the task might seem overwhelming. If the children are old enough to get working papers, helping them to get a job would be my top priority. I can still see our son Kevin, when he was a teenager, coming home exhausted after hand picking corn on one of the many farms in Berkshire County. Introducing a youngster to manual labor is a good thing. Playing on a sports team was a good thing also. Since Linda and I had summers off, taking the children fishing, camping, to Cape Cod, Disney Land in Florida, Cultural venues, summer camps, etc. occupied a good deal of our summer days.

Well, I have to finish my morning routine, and put on some work clothes, and get to work.

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: