Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

Sometime people might think that I am not telling the truth, but Linda and I had another pleasant day in the Berkshires.
Even though the temperatures never reached the 30 degree mark all day long, we just make believed that it was a warm and summery day in the Berkshires.

The sandwich making event went well on Saturday. We had a great crew putting together those 400 bag lunches, of either turkey, ham, or vegetarian. My UNICO brothers and sisters do a repeat performance at 8 AM this morning, but today we are making 500 sandwiches.
One of my UNICO brothers brought a bottle of his home made Grappa. A little touch in our coffee warmed a little more that our hearts.

I did come home and take a nap after the sandwich making since we were attending that Folk Singing concert in the evening. The musicians played for free to help raise money for a local charity.
Another couple and Linda & I did also have a great meal at a downtown eatery. I felt that were like the Blue Hair crowd since we sat down at 5:15 PM in the restaurant.We had to eat early so that we didn't have to rush to the 7 PM concert.
I must admit that the concert was wonderful. Besides the Guthrie Family performance, Bobby Sweet, and his band played for the second half of the show.
I was so glad that Linda has to sometimes force me to go to these shows. Most of the time I end up really enjoying the concert , and the friends whom we meet at the show.
If any of you Berkshire people missed the concert, the organizers and musicians decided to make it an annual event.
As the Arlo Guthrie's daughter Sarah, and her husband, and their 4 year old daughter were up on stage at one point, I was pondering the artistic talent that we had, and continue to have in the Berkshires. We had Normal Rockwell living in a neighboring town which now includes the Norman Rockwell museum. We have had Herman Mellville (who wrote "Moby Dick" while in the Berkshires), Edith Wharton (who mansion is a tourist destination), Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Taylor and his talented family, and Arlo Guthrie lives in the Berkshires (and has a recording studio), Arlo's children live in the Berkshires too, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra is at Tanglewood, and the list goes on and on.
We have had great inventors create things in the Berkshires. Pittsfield is home of Lexan. The paper that they use for making the currency for the United States is made 5 miles from our home in Dalton, Massachusetts.
Of course, you have those talented people like Linda and I who hopefully made an impact on the lives of many children during our teaching career.

The Berkshires are fiercely Democratic when it comes to voting. Oops, I said that I was going to keep away from politics for the Thanksgiving holidays. Yeah right!

My New England Patriots play in Miami today. I am hoping that they fair better than the beating that the Dolphins gave them at Gillette Stadium a couple of months ago. My friend and I left that game early as we saw "The Handwriting on the Wall" before the fourth quarter even started.

While I am doing my thing this morning, and after Linda reads the newspaper, she will be doing some baking. I should be arriving home just in time to stir the ingredients.

We have been taking the gin soaked golden raisins. I am not sure if Linda's arthritis in her hands (which she uses for knitting) is getting any better. Eating 9 raisins at a time has been very difficult to do. It is like eating a handful of nuts. Can anyone of a sound mine just eat nine nuts? I know that I can't!

Well, I have to conclude this rambling e-mail. One of the songs last night was about telling a person who talks too much to "Shut up" because it turns his "ears black and blue." Linda loved the song, I think that she might buy the band's "CD' that they were selling, and play it when I walk in the door.
I thought wives like it when their husbands communicate with them. I must be the exception to the rule!

Have a great Sunday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: