Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

My parent visit on Monday went well. I made some turkey soup using the carcass of a turkey breast which my mother cooked the other day. Dear old Mom doesn't have the strength in her arms anymore to even slice the turkey.
During every visit, she tells me to do everything you can physically and mentally do right now. She advised me to keep busy, and enjoy life because there will be a time when most of the good times will come to an end (or at least slow down).

On a happier note, my sister and her husband became grand parents once again. Their daughter Missy had a baby girl during the early evening. Linda and I are going to make a quick visit before we head east this morning.
Our Dalton friends also became grand parents for the first time around noon yesterday. Their son and his wife live in Atlanta. Our friends drove to Atlanta, and they arrived a day before the birth. How about that for timing?
I am guessing that my friends are going to have a real difficult time when they have to leave next week, and head back to the Berkshires. They will be like Linda and I because they will be long distance grandparents.
I also know that if we lived closer to our grandchildren, we would be volunteering to babysit every chance that we could get.

I have been thinking about Thanksgiving for days now.To me this is like opening day of one of my professional sports' teams which I follow. I get really psyched for the big event. I liked being surrounded by people who get that warm and fuzzy feeling just like I do when the umpire says: "Play Ball".
It could be the first Patriot home game of the season. Visualize being in the stands (65,000 people strong) with people in the row in front of us, and behind us who are the same people year after year. It is like being at the dinner table on Thanksgiving Day.

My meeting in the afternoon on Mondsay went well. As I surmised, the coach of a local kids' rugby team want to play some games in Ireland , a couple of which he would like to play in our Irish Sister City. You know what that means: "Fundraisers".

I came home in between my parent visit, and my meeting with the rugby coach. The telephone rings just as Linda is coming out of the shower. One of her friends needed a knitting consult immediately. I say immediately because the lady was in a yarn store trying to purchase yarn, and bamboo needles of a certain size. Linda asked if she had a coupon for the store which she was in. The answer was : "No". Towel wrapped Linda went looking for some coupons. Linda sent me to the store to deliver the coupons.
The saga continues. I had two coupons, but the rule is one coupon per person. I had to go through the checkout line with one of the two purchases. Now this sounds simple enough, but there is always a story. I had walked back to where the lady picked up the yarn in one isle, and the needles in another isle. She couldn't find the needles which she put down before she rushed outside of the store to greet me. Of course in the needle isle, there were no more #6 Bamboo needles. Franny to the rescue. I retraced the woman's steps, and I found the needles semi buried in the yarn pile. Linda always dislikes it when she has to get involved in my projects. Well, "What goes around, comes around" as the saying goes.

Finish packing, load up the car with luggage, and home baked food, visit my niece in the maternity ward, drop off something at my parents' home in Lee, all takes place before we get on the Massachusetts Turnpike and head East today.

Well, I have to do some quiet chores.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: