Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

Linda had a wonderful time in New York City with three of her girlfriends. She
said that it was a bit brisk in the City because of the cool temperatures and
the wind. She said the play that they went to was about three hours long (which
is a bit long for the Curley Lad). "It was really, really good" were her exact
words. Of course, I forgot what the name of the play was. I think that her and
her girlfriends are pondering another trip to New York.

I finally returned to raking leaves. I was the only person doing so at 8:30
AM. I am still raking a neighbor's leaves two doors north and two doors south
from the Curley home. Do you think that they are thanking me as they drive by
when I am slaving away?

I did a whole bunch of errands, before ending up at my UNICO friend's Italian
Restaurant to discuss how we are going to make 400 sandwiches on Saturday, and
400 Sandwiches on Sunday for the Diocese Youth event which is going to be held
at St Joseph's Catholic High School. Making sandwiches sounds like an easy task.
Not !
It is turning out to be a costly event even though my friend got the best deal
for all of the sandwich ingredients through his wholesaler agent.

Politics -- I like leadership roles, but being the President of the United
States would not be one of them. They showed some pictures of Bill Clinton, one
of my most favorite Presidents, and boy has he aged. His hair is white like a
person who in in their 80's, but he is the same age as the rest of us baby
boomers.
I am trying to visualize what Obama will look like four years from now. The
Presidency makes you age faster than if Mother Nature was in charge.
I am trying to figure out how Obama is going to attack the many issues which
are before him. The list seems endless.
The financial bailout has so many people lined up for a handout. One of our
local banks is asking for a handout even though they are not in financial
trouble. What is wrong with this picture?
Somalia- Piracy on the high seas - Seeking ransom for the ship which the
pirates have seized. I say have the military blast them out of the water before
they capture any ship. After showing the pirates that we mean business, then let
the negotiation process begin. This might be another group of people who need a
lesson in how democracy works.
Gasoline Prices-- Can someone tell my how and why I am paying $2.14 per gallon
at the pump around here when it was around $4.00 a gallon a few months ago?
Christmas Shopping -- Is anybody out there shopping except for us grandparents
who will still spoil our grandchildren no matter how bad the economy really is?

I am thinking that there will be endless bargains after Christmas which doesn't
bode well for Holiday sales. I am thinking that "Black Friday" might be a "Red
Friday" as more red ink flows instead of the black ink.

Thanksgiving -- I love this Holiday! Besides the food, I like being surrounded
by happy people. I am going to try and stay away from discussing politics
especially since there will be some staunch Republicans at the home where we
will be celebrating Thanksgiving. Yeah Right!
There will be several octogenarians around the table, and I can't wait to hear
their take on the Presidential elections, economy, health care, and conflicts
around the globe.

Our social calendar is free today, but I am already thinking of things to keep
Linda busy. She hates it when I do this, but she will get over it.

I have to make a list of the clothes which I have to pack for our trip East
for Thanksgiving. One set of clothes is for the November 30 Patriot Home game
which I am attending with our son Kevin. A 4:15 PM football game calls for a
different set of clothes compared to a 1 PM game. Also, I have to pack clothes
with the possibility of rain / and or snow. I might even put in my battery
operated socks to keep my feet warm.

Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: