Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Monday went as planned.

My visit with my parents was semi okay.
If my pension can't keep pace with inflation, I decided how I can make a few extra bucks. I am going to start a cleaning business tailored to the needs of senior citizens. I am trying to decide what to call the business. How about: " Fran the Man Clean and Swish service." Sociailzation and cooking meals are extra for a nominal fee.
After three hours with my parents yesterday, I called it quits. I was so wacky at the end of three hours, that I drove away with the hatch back door of my Subaru Legacy wagon totally open.
Luckily, the vacuum cleaner in the back of my car, didn't fall out as I rounded a corner a 1/4 mile from my parent's home. I thought I felt a wicked draft, and that the engine of cars and trucks of oncoming traffic was a bit noisy. I checked the windows, and they were all up. I looked in the review mirror, and I couldn't see anything but air.

Well things got better as the day progressed. Linda's car got fixed for $38. Yes, you heard that correctly. The brakes were okay. My honest auto repair guy said that car models like the Neon are notorious for having squeaky brakes even thought the brakes are in perfect working order. The sqeaking goes on and off.
He did find the bubble on the inside of one of the tires. He put that tire on the rear of the car, and said keep an eye on it. I told him that Linda drives the car in Berkshire County only, and that she never takes the car on roads like the Massachusetts Turnpike.
Can you imagine if we took the Neon car to any old auto repair place? They would have put brakes on the front and the back , and probably replaced all four tires. Linda and I would have been looking at least an $800 bill.

My UNICO Board Meeting went well. It took less than an hour. I have to have a fast meeting because there is one guy who can't wait to say: "Motion to adjourn" at any point during the meeting. We firmed up some of the dates, and workers for the multitude of volunteer activities we have coming up.

There is a pasta dinner this evening for 18 students who are going on a trip to Italy. I am helping out in the kitchen for a couple of hours this afternoon. The sauce is being prepared off site, but we will need people for salad preparation as well as for setting up the tables at the Italian American Club.

After a couple hours of work at the Italian American Club, I (& Linda too) am putting on my Irish hat. Linda and I are heading off to the Annual Pittsfield Irish Sister City covered dish meeting at a former member's home. There will be a great selection of different foods. It will be another evening of food, fun, and merriment. I might have a Guinness or two before the night is over.

I checked the forecast for the Thursday night football game at Gillette Stadium. There is a 50% chance of rain for the 8:30 PM kick off. I don't mind cool or darn right cold weather, but rain mixed in makes for a long evening.

I am going to stay away from Politics for a few days. My son from Kansas, and some liberals from Massachusetts were going back and forth with the Marijuana issue. Both people made some excellent points.
This is exactly why I send e-mails. I try and give you something to think about or something to laugh about each day. Isn't the ability to delete something wonderful?

How about "Gay Marriage" as something to think about? If two people of the same sex want to be together, they should have the same rights and privileges as a man and woman do when they get married. Yes, I can hear the naysayers who don't like these same sex couples to call it "Marriage". If you decide to be with a person for the rest of your life, and share in every aspect of a relationship, who cares if you call it "Marriage"?
To be able to be with someone for many years, and go through the joys and sorrows of such a relationship is such a challenge whether you are the same sex or different sex.
I also don't want to hear quotes from the Bible about what God said about this and that. Who wrote the Bible? Men. Some of those men dabbled in homosexual life styles. If you study history, some of the greatest heroes were in love with people of the same sex. Homosexuality is not just an American phenomena.
Maybe the Catholic Church ( and their celibacy rule for priests) would not have had so much trouble if they let their male priests enter a relationship whether it was with a female, or with a person of the same sex. My philosophy has always been:
"Man cannot live on bread alone!"

Well, you know were I stand.
What is your position? The Curley Lad

No comments: