Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

On Saturday, Linda spent most of her day in the kitchen preparing food for our Super Bowl Party.
I did some errands, and squeezed in a nap.
Yes, I am still fighting a cold, but I feel pretty good today.

Our major highlight of the day was attending the Rotary Auction last evening with two other couples. The pre-auction food was wonderful.
This year they had a professional auctioneer run the program. He was really good at it.

The only negative, from my perspective, is when they stopped the auction, and showed a short clip of an African School which the local Rotary Club took on as a project. The Rotarians (and a school in a neighboring Berkshire County town) helped to renovate one of the classrooms for this school. The auctioneer asked the audience to come up with $10,000 to continue to fund this project.
At this point, I felt like I was attending one of those "Jim & Tami Baker" religious fund raisers instead of being at the Rotary Auction looking for a bargain.
We left the auction as they were working on securing the last $3000 of their goal, which they did do.
I also thought that we have some needy schools, agencies, etc. in our own community. How about working on a projects to help these local worthy causes?
Our local Rotary Club does do a project in our schools. They provide dictionaries for all the elementary school age children. My thoughts on this project is: "What is a dictionary?" Most of these children, who grow up with computers, use spell check including me!
I better stop babbling before I get myself in trouble.

Politics -- Tom Dachule had a little financial trouble on his resume, but it will be business as usual.
Hillary Clinton starts her new job $6 million in campaign debt. With the help of a few friends, she should be able to wipe out the debt.

Social Calendar -- Super Bowl Party at 4 PM is the only thing on our minds today.
A visit to mom in the Rehab Center will have to wait until Monday.

Have to go and read the Sunday Newspapers.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: