Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dear Friends,

The yard work saga continued on Friday. I think that I can finish the task in
one more day.
The pizza party went well except for the fact that there were only 8 people,
and four huge pizzas.
The non healthy food and beverages were wonderful. I will have to chop a chord
of wood to burn up those excess calories.
I came home after the party to try and squeeze in a power nap before our 3:30
PM sign holding, but it didn't work out.
Linda was doing errands while I was doing my thing. She used a whole bunch of
those coupons which she cut out on Thursday, and purchased bags and bags of
Halloween Candy. We are prepared for 200 + Trick or Treater's in our
neighborhood.

My snow blower and riding lawnmower came back from the repair shop. They are
both turned up, and ready to go. The snow blower didn't have a bearing problem.
It was some worn belts.

We go to our assigned spot for holding those visibility signs for the
incumbent Mayor, and no one was there. After making a few telephone calls, we
ended up at our one rotary (soon to be a distant memory) in Pittsfield. We were
supposed to get an e-mail of the change. Not! There were about 12 of us sign
holders. The Mayor's one opponent had no one there representing his potential
voters. Yes, I know that what we were doing doesn't necessarily mean a vote for
our candidate

Supper at the Shamrock took place after the sign holding. There were three of
us. It was an early night especially since I missed my usual two hour afternoon
nap.

Observation -- I did get some very good responses to my discussion about the
Curley's moving into a condo (just talk so far).
One person agreed that their yard upkeep is becoming overwhelming, but she has
a multiple acre yard.
One friend suggested to plant less which he does.
Another friend suggested to make the yard work as couples experience, and
treat it like exercise. This won't happen for Linda and I at the current stage
in our life.
It is like the camping experience. When we were young, and the children were
small, camping was one of the affordable ways to have a family vacation. Now, we
don't want to be on the ground in a tent, using portable toilets, and communal
showers which run out of hot water, fighting the mosquitoes, etc.
We haven't put camping completely out of our minds. When our children decide
to have their children experience camping, Linda and I will make a day trip from
our air conditioned hotel to be with them by the campfire.

Social Calendar -- Linda is off with a girlfriend in a few short hours for a
day of food, shopping at Malls and Costco, etc.. I will miss her dearly as I
watch college football all day and all night long until she returns especially
since rain is in the forecast. I do have some house chores to take care of in
between the commercials, and at half time of the sporting contests.

I think that I might do my normal chicken Novena. I do this when Linda is out
of the house for long periods of time. She is not as fond of the chicken
experience as I am. I might have to prepare the chicken on the grill, even if
the rain is continuous. Linda doesn't have enough Yankee Candles to mask the
smell of chicken grease which usually permeates the house.

Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and send some e-mails.
Have a great weekend.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: