Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hello on Saturday Morning

Priority: Normal Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009 7:25 AM Size: 7 KB

Dear Friends,

We had another pleasant day on Friday. Before anyone woke up, I was out the
door, and teeing off with my senior buddies. Our Thursday night guests had
morning coffee with Linda, and went their separate ways. The male guest was
picked up for a round of golf by his brother-in-law. The female guest, who is an
Aunt of the bride to be, was picked up by her sister (and mother of the bride).
Linda was alone for a couple of hours, and puttered around the house.

My Friday golf went okay. There were only four threesomes. It appears that the
golfing season might be coming to a close for some of our group. My threesome
had to pay $2 instead of three, and this wasn't because of my ball striking. The
weather was cool, but very pleasant.
I didn't tell Linda that I had a fall while golfing. I drove this ball in an
area where the ground is usually wet. The club put up this 3 foot wide and 4
foot long bridge over the wet spot so that you could reach this damp area to
retrieve you ball. Well, the bridge was made out of the synthetic deck material.
My plastic spikes met the synthetic deck material, and my legs slipped from out
under me. I fell on my side / back. The fall was exactly like when I ruptured my
quadriceps tendon when I fell on black ice several years ago.
I didn't want to tell her about this incident because I wasn't sure how I was
going to feel today. I woke up with no aches pains so far, and I hope that it
continues this way.
I probably should call the club, and have them put a sign near the bridge
warning other golfers of the potential problem.

I did come home and take a nap as planned. When I nap, Linda usually goes off a
does a little recreational shopping. She met some of our friends in every store
that she went into. This is actually a good thing. It is a distraction so that
she has less time for purchasing things. Sometimes she even forgets what she
went into the store looking for.

We dined at the Shamrock in Dalton. It was like a date night. This Friday, the
place wasn't busy as it was the week before. Of course, we found several sets of
acquaintances to chat with before we got seated.

When were were sitting alone, we brought up the conversation of the Irish
Sister City Annual meeting (members and significant others) that I (not Linda)
agreed to host at our house in November. The normal hosts are in their mid 80's,
and they are having physical issues, so I gave in, and said "Yes" to the affair.
Linda was trying to figure out how we are going to fit 20 to 25 people in our
house for the meeting as well as having covered dish dinner.
Well, we decided to make it heavy munchies, instead of a sit down meal.
Linda was wondering why we couldn't have the affair at a member's home who had
spent probably about $60,000 to have a beautiful open kitchen with marble
counter tops put in. In this fabulous kitchen, there is even a large island in
the middle of this totally open room which could hold all of the food for the
function.
Linda started to get a little teary eyed because she wants a new kitchen with
similar features. We need to win the lottery for this to happen.

Social Calendar -- The only thing on our calendar today is us attending a late
afternoon wedding at The Country Club of Pittsfield. The bride wants the civil
ceremony on the deck of The Country Club. There is an 80 percent chance of rain.
The temperatures will be in the low 60's. Everything will be fine unless the
rain comes down at an angle. There should be much fun and merriment at the
wedding. Have party, will go!

Sports -- I did watch the Red Sox win another one. Two games left, and their
season is over. The playoffs begin next week. I can't wait!
The Patriots play on Sunday afternoon, I can't wait to watch this game too.

Politics -- Well Brazil got the 2016 Olympics, and not the United States. It
was a crushing blow to the people in Chicago, and for the President.
Well, it is back to the health care issue for the President this coming week.

Observation -- The father of the "bride to be" has told me time and time again
that it is so different raising a daughter than a son. This really must come
true as you see your daughter leaving the nest, and getting married to her
"Knight in Shinning Armour." I think, as a father of a daughter, you are more
protective of her, and hope that she has made the selection of the perfect mate.

From what I observe, from our friends who have daughters, the female gender
requires a higher maintenance level than us males.
Like I always say, men a simple creatures. They require three things --> Sex,
food, and sleep.

I think that the "bride to be" has had a couple of good role models in her
parents. When you grow up in a family, which has loving parents, some of what
you observe will get you through any ups and downs in your own marriage. It is
okay to disagree, but not be disagreeable (a quote from a local talk show host)!

Marriage is a work in progress. The work never seems to end (for Linda, just
kidding!). Even when you have been married for 38 years like us, I love the fact
that I do have someone to grow old with.
I too realize that some people are not so lucky to have that experience, but
that is why a social network of friends is so important.

Well, I better stop rambling before I get myself in trouble.
Have a great weekend!
There is no doubt that I will have a great one! The Curley Lad

No comments: