Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day in our lives went as planned. Linda had a 12 hour day of shopping
and dinning out with a girlfriend. I was home alone enjoying every moment of
total relaxation. I did get off the couch a couple of times to get food and
beverages as I watched the endless college football games. If it didn't rain for
most of the day, I would have been dealing with deck furniture, seat cushions,
tables, umbrellas, etc.
When there was a lull in the rain, I did unclog two gutters. I used a step
ladder to unclog the gutter in front of the garage door. To take care of the
second drain, I climbed out a bedroom window onto the roof of the screened in
room on the deck. It wasn't raining when I attacked this gutter. As I was
removing debris from the gutter, it started raining "cats and dogs". I got so
wet in two minutes that I had to change all of my clothes, but the water is
flowing freely through that gutter.

The President thinks that swine flu is serious business. The Pittsfield Public
Schools sent about a dozen children home from school beginning on Thursday.
Maybe it is good that Linda and I are retired.

Observation One --Washing of ones hands is stressed everywhere as a
preventative measure. I was thinking that the Catholics should alter the shaking
of hands during the Mass as a "sign of peace". I told the person if front of us
the other day that Linda and I both had colds, and that it might be a good idea
to skip the hand shaking. The woman agreed!
I never liked this shaking of hands even when it was first instituted as part
of a Catholic Mass. I believed that the Mass should be a personal thing between
you and your Maker.
I actually liked it when the Masses were in Latin. When the Church went to
English, the mystical nature of the Catholic Mass was lost forever. These are
comments from a former altar boy!

Observation two -- How about the 22 year old Saudi woman journalist who is
going to get 60 lashes for talking about sex on television. Can you imagine all
the woman in the United States who would get 60 lashes because of what is shown
and discussed on American television?

Observation three -- I did receive a telephone call in the middle of my
football games on Saturday. The telephone conversation lasted for about 30
minutes (which is unusual for me). This lady lost her husband a few years ago to
cancer. She said that the most difficult time for her is when she is at home,
and alone at night.
She does have family, and grandchildren to keep her busy during the day. I
told her what we were doing, and about our grandchildren, and our trips to see
them. She said to enjoy every moment that you have with family, significant
other, and friends because you never know what happens in life. The woman didn't
have to remind the Curley Lad of this. I have already adopted this attitude in
my own life.

Social Calendar -- I have orders not to disturb the Queen until she goes off to
an afternoon adventure. Her Red Hat Group is going off to an Apple Orchard which
has gotten into the Wine making industry. I will have to make room in the
refrigerator for apples, and in our wine rack for some local bottles of wine.
I would like to work on the deck at daylight because I have to get ready for
another day of football. My Patriots play at 1 PM. I also want to see the game
between Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

Speaking of Minnesota -- Most people think that Massachusetts is a somewhat
wacky, liberal, gay marriage loving, marijuana smoking place ( you can possess
an ounce or less of the weed, and not be jailed). Well, the courts in Minnesota
have ruled that bong water can add more years to a jail sentence if it is found
to have traces on marijuana in it. Well, if you do use a bong to smoke marijuana
why would the water not have traces of the weed in it?
Minnesota is the same State that carrying a concealed weapon is perfectly
legal except for when you are in their airport or at the Mall of America.
Sorry if I offended anyone who has roots to Minnesota!

Well, I have to read the Boston Globe and the Berkshire Eagle before starting
my yard work.
Have a great Sunday!
I am mentally prepared for having a wonderful Sunday too! The Curley Lad

No comments: