Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Linda and her girlfriends had a wonderful day together in the Boston area. The
planner of the trip got to see both of her daughters in one place. Our friend
came in from Tewksbury too when the group finally arrived in East Boston to
visit Kevin, Kyla, and our grandchild Max. After several hours of female
bonding, eventually Kevin cooked the ladies up some food at "Dough" for supper.
I prepared myself a crock pot supper knowing that I was going to have a busy
day!

Max, who was born during the first week of August, was passed around like a
hot potato. The group got to see in person the grandchild who we have been
saying is "so cute!"

While Linda was doing her thing, I did a bunch of errands before heading off to
the dentist for a "Routine Checkup". As I had guessed, the dentist found
something that requires me to get back in the dentist chair next Tuesday. My
dentist found some decay below an old cavity. Drilling and filling will take
place at 9:30 AM next Tuesday. I can't wait!

While at Walmart yesterday morning, I decided to purchase some new mouse traps.
These plastic fantastic traps are a little more high tech than the old fashioned
wooden traps that I have used in the past. These traps are supposed to make the
kill, and allow me to dispose of the mouse without touching the deceased. I set
out two of the four traps last evening laden with peanut butter. The mouse dined
at one of the traps, but didn't set the trap off. How did I know that this
happened? Once the trap is set, you are supposed to push the trap against the
wall or rigid object. When I checked the trap this morning, the trap was moved
from the wall, but not set off.
I am going to set some of the old fashioned wooden traps today. If I am
successful catching a mouse with these traps, I will return one set of the high
tech traps.

I did start my outdoor removal of dead flowers, vegetation, etc., in our flower
beds. I need another day or two to complete the task.

Social Calendar -- Linda and I will be off to a luncheon this morning in
Williamstown. I will be presiding (since I am the President of the local
chapter) over our fall meeting of REAM (Retired Educators Association of
Massachusetts). We have a guest speaker from a local college, and then we will
be taking care of our normal business. The meeting should end around 2:30 PM.
I think that Linda has a Mah Jongg session tonight, but I am not sure if she is
hosting the session.
I will be hooking up with a friend while the ladies are playing Mah Jongg. I
haven't seen the friend in over two weeks. He is leaving for a week long
business trip on Thursday. Males can bond too, except that we don't talk as
much!

Observation -- As I was driving over the streets of Pittsfield on Tuesday, I
had to pass by some of those roadside memorials for people who have been killed
in car accidents. I know that they are a form of grieving for the the ones close
to the deceased, but are they a distraction for us drivers? As you drive on the
roads in any State, you always pass by these memorials. I am not a supporter of
these homemade memorials!

A Massachusetts man got arrested for breaking into cars. He had a suspicious
looking bag when he was nabbed by the police. The man claimed that the items in
the bag were his ex wife's sex toys. They turned out to be the items stolen from
several cars. This is a new excuse for the bad guys!

Observation 2 -- CNN had an interesting article about marriage:

"Where you live may affect when you get married, study finds


* Fewer couples are walking down the aisle in the U.S., study finds
* Arkansas, Utah and Oklahoma are states where people tend to marry younger
* Couples tend to marry later in states with higher numbers of
college-educated adults (Massachusetts is one of these States)
* Nevada, Maine and Oklahoma have the highest percentage of divorced adults"

Observation 3 -- I wanted to get a new sleep apnea device since mine is getting
tired. I thought that it would be easy to get a new prescription. Since I
haven't seen my Pulmonary guy since 2005, I had to make an appointment. The one
hour appointment takes place in mid November. This appointment includes blowing
into devices until you almost can't breathe. This is another appointment that I
am not looking forward too!

Well, I have to do some quiet activities. I think that I will skip the flower
bed work until Thursday.
Have a great Wednesday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: