Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in both Kansas and East Boston. When you can see
our two grandchildren in the same 24 hour time period located in to different
States, I consider that very fortunate.
We left Kansas after having lunch at "Arthur Bryant's" barbecue restaurant not
too far from our older son's home. It was just Danielle, Isabelle, Linda, and I.
This establishment was the second Kansas place featured on the Food Channel as
one of the top places across the country. One serving of food can feed two
people. Mike was having leftovers when he got home from work.
The flight from Kansas to Boston was right on time. Kyla and Max, our second
grandchild, picked us up at 7:30 PM. After bonding with Kyla and Max for a
little while, and eating a small "Saturday Night Special" which Kevin whipped up
for us, we loaded up our car, and headed back to the Berkshires. We couldn't
bond with Kevin because his right hand man has been out sick for a couple of
days. Kevin was running the restaurant pretty much alone. He does have a
faithful set of workers and drivers to help him get through these past few days.

I was semi wired so I tried to unpack my suitcase. My bag got randomly
inspected, but when they closed the bag back up, the zipper got all messed up. I
had to do a little cutting to open the bag. I am guessing that they opened my
bag because I was carrying a high suspicious container of barbecue sauce from
one of the two places which we went to. The bag was an older bag, and was
almost ready to be thrown out. Well, the "almost" part has now become a
certainty!

There is no time to take a day off for the Curley's. We are going off to that
10 AM funeral which I talked about in a previous e-mail. We really can't use an
excuse to skip the funeral. The deceased was always present at one of the
multiple Christmas Eve parties which we always attend.

Observation -- We met two interesting sets of people during our travels on
Wednesday. While at the barbecue place, a hulk of a man came over to our table,
and said to keep Isabelle at her current age. He said that he has a house full
of teenage girls with raging hormones who are also experiencing girlfriend, and
boyfriend issues, etc. He implied that it wasn't such a pleasant time in his
life that it was when his children were Isabelle's age. He was having lunch with
a male friend!
Another couple , whom we met on the airplane, was returning from visiting their
grandchildren in Kansas too. They spent the Columbus Day weekend with their 1
and 3 year old grandchildren. They couldn't wait to get back home, and go back
to their retiree routine. They said that they were exhausted chasing around
their grandchildren. Like I said before, child rearing is a young person's task.
Speaking of child rearing, Kyla and Kevin are trying to work out the details of
what to do with Max as Kyla goes back to work during the first week of November.
I volunteered Linda and I if there is some kind of emergency, but I don't think
either of us could be full time Nannies since we live 2.5 hours away from each
other.

Observation Two -- The Kansas City Star newspaper had a front page article about
a bigamist. His wife of 20 years, and the guy's newest wife happened to be
chatting with one another about the wonderful man that they were married too.
They found out that it was the same man! What was also strange is that the two
wives lived in apartment complexes next to one another. I would love to hear the
follow up story on this article.

Observation three -- I read an article in the technology section of the Wall
Street Journal, which someone left in the Kansas airport, that said that e-mail
is on the way out. Facebook and Twitter are what most people are doing today.
The response time from friends is quicker than on e-mail. Facebook and Twitter
can be dangerous for the Curley Lad. Linda already has a Facebook account. I
might have to start one soon.

Politics -- More Health Care stuff as well as attempting some international
diplomacy.

Well, I have to select funeral attending clothes.
I would start up the washing machine, and do a load of my clothes, but the
washing machine might make Linda jump out of her bed. I am thinking that I might
have to wake Linda up, or she will miss the funeral.
Have a great Thursday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: