Friday, October 30, 2009

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,
Another day went as planned in Curley world. I did have a pleasant 2.5 hour
drive both back and forth from Devens, Massachusetts. I took major highways to
the convention, and the scenic route back home. Either way, it still took 2.5
hours.
My meeting went well. An elderly gentleman fell off of his chair, and hit the
floor. I think that he fell asleep, and slid off of his chair. He required no
medical attention, and he got back on the chair by himself.
I was one of the younger people in the room. The basic theme that I got from
the meeting was that the pensions that we are enjoying right now really decrease
in value the longer that we live.
There are some Massachusetts teachers right now who retired in the 70's and
80's who are trying to live on $720 per month. They are living below the poverty
level.

While I was doing my thing, Linda was writing out bills as well as doing a
little fall decorating. The pension checks should be deposited in our accounts
today to cover what she wrote out on Thursday.

I arrived home from my adventure at 3:30 PM. I needed a quick one hour nap
before our evening activity.

The Polenta dinner went very well. The two tables of 8 people that I reserved
were filled. It was so nice to have everyone who said that they would come to
the dinner show up. There was about 200 people who were served a delicious meal.
We arrived home during the first inning of the World Series Game. I decided to
stay upstairs, and watch the game in bed. As usual, I fell asleep in no time at
all. I didn't know who even won the game until I checked the computer. The
Yankees are now leaving for Philadelphia with the series tied at one game each.
Both teams are taking the train from New York to Philadelphia.

Social Calendar -- Linda is off to her end of the month breakfast for retired
women associated with Pittsfield High School.
I am going to play golf with my senior buddies today. This is after I put away
my clubs, and golf shoes, gear, etc., thinking that the cold weather was here to
stay. Well, it is 49 degrees outside right now, and we are heading for the mid
50's. It should be a pleasant day on the golf course.

Observation -- Our schools in Pittsfield are starting to have less and less
students in them because of the flu. The public in general is scared beyond
belief. I wouldn't want to be a teacher in the schools right now.
As an example of the wackiness, one of our friends, who is still teaching, was
telling us about a new directive which came down from administration. Teachers
are now supposed to have an emergency supplies if the school goes into a lock
down. Here is some of what they teachers must have:
They are supposed to have velvet, or some form of cloth to cover all windows.
Duct tape.
The are supposed to have a bucket so that students can relieve themselves while
in the locked classroom.
They are supposed to have sanity napkins in case female students happens to have
their period during the lock down.
They are supposed to have a first aid kit, flash lights,etc..
They are supposed to have cards and games so that the students can keep
themselves entertained during the emergency situation.
The teacher is expected to provide all this stuff out of their own pocket.
Do you wonder why America is not number one in the world with respect to
producing educated students?
Do you wonder why both of us have no desire to return to the classroom?

Sister's surgery -- Linda and I did go to the hospital before the Polenta Dinner
to see how the surgery went. She was still in surgery / recovery when we arrived
at the hospital around 5 PM. We were thinking that they were going to keep her
overnight. We will make some telephone calls to find out how things went.

Well, I have to do some quiet chores before loading up my car with golf clubs,
and golf gear.
Have a great weekend.
Don't eat too much leftover candy from Treak or Treat night.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: